Ember for Emby

7illusions

7illusions

Since Emby Theater was released in store, there has been some confusion around the Forums as of why there are now two apps with the same logo, almost the same name, targeting the same devices.

This confusion is now to an end, the original Windows App has transformed into:

57dbec8d4df8c_Logo.png

Version 4.0.127 is rolling out through store right now.

So, what has changed since last update, just a new logo?

Except the obvious, like name and logo, improvements has been made on almost every part of the app.

Theming:

With the new name, the app now has a new color theme.

But, since some of you fine folks aren't that fond of changes, the ability to switch theme has been included. You can easily swap back to the original Emby colors by going into the Personalization view. Also, there's now a specific XBox Theme, basically the same as the Ember theme, but with adaptions for the Xbox scale factor.

Playback:

Improved playback, the stuttering that some people we're experiencing with previous builds should now be fixed.

If you're running the app on a HTPC with a receiver connected, you can now enjoy DirectStream of DTS audio, no more need for transcoding. To enable this feature, under Settings -> Playback -> Audio you can enable DirectStream of DTS.

Also found under Audio is the option to select Audio output, if you want to force the app to use SPDIF out for example, here's the place.

Navigation:

​XBox navigation was a problem in previous builds. This has been vastly improved and now behaves as you would expect. (Except for one place: Season details view has a navigation issue which will be resolved very soon)

Search functionality:

​You can now search for the content you want, from anywhere within the app.

Other fixes:

​Connection stability.

Lots of minor UI fixes

Clicking on a episode in Season view now actually does what you expect. :)

• Like 11

It's great so far.

Creating a new blogpost about the rebranding and the box One compatibility could be a good idea.

@edit

It looks like Windows Explorer can't handle rebrands. Despite name change the Ember could only be find by searching for Emby. Reinstall fixed this though.

Edited by Nequit
  • Like 1

7illusions

Hmmm... where have I seen that logo before...? ;)

Nice job and thanks.

Haha, yeah I'm happy we didn't decide on that one for Emby. :)

Actually, I have to thank @@ScottIsAFool for the flame idea.. I had forgotten about that, and had a more industrial looking logo in mind.

• Like 2

FrostByte

The XB store app name is still the old "Emby app" and description is the old one also.  

The app itself is all changed to Ember and the saved shortcut says Ember, but the Icon is still the green Emby one

7illusions

The store description will take a while to propagate out to the servers. The binary is always first.

As for the shortcut, just recreate it and you should be fine. :)

FrostByte

The store description will take a while to propagate out to the servers. The binary is always first.

As for the shortcut, just recreate it and you should be fine. :)

I did, the name changed, but not the Icon :)

Is it me, or the videos are loading slower now? Buffering?

And playback still can't stutter when I turn on subtitles. Rewinding a few seconds backwards fixes the playback.

Just updated to the new version and the sync settings are all reset. No big deal.

I have noticed that none of the sync jobs are listed in the app but are still there on the server.

I've tried all manner of restarts and resets but they don't want to appear in the app.

Any way to push or reset this? I really don't want to have to recreate all my sync jobs.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

bennymac

Nice rebrand mate.

Question. Has anyone figured out how to get an XB1 media remote working with Ember using and MCE receiver? (or any other receiver for that matter) 

Edited by bennymac

As an xbox user of Emby is there a summary anywhere that outlines the differences between Ember for Emby and Emby Theatre? Pros/cons of each etc.

Thanks

Deathsquirrel

As an xbox user of Emby is there a summary anywhere that outlines the differences between Ember for Emby and Emby Theatre? Pros/cons of each etc.

Thanks

Playback should be identical in theory as both rely on the same underlying MS codecs and libraries.  That may not be completely true today as all the same functions might not be present in both yet, but long term they should be the same.

Different UI is really all that should be different in the long term.

--edit-- They are priced differently though.  Ember is a flat price for that client app.  Emby Theater relies on a premium subscription.  Didn't initially think of that as I've long since bought both.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Also currently ember has functioning offline sync/viewing whereas Theater does not

Tho that's probably not to relevant for xbox

Edited by Vidman

Also currently ember has functioning offline sync/viewing whereas Theater does not

Tho that's probably not to relevant for xbox

Offline sync currently is working but viewing offline / synced files is not working.