Portable Emby Server?

BrianG

I currently have a Seagate GoFlex harddrive/wifi hotspot to watch movies on the go, but the accompanying app isn't the best and too difficult for wife/kids to use via browsing the network (I installed Samba on the device a while back). So I am thinking about creating a "portable" Emby server for long road trips, vacations, etc. I wouldn't put my entire library on it, but enough of a mix to keep everyone happy.

Some details:

- Has to run Emby Server

- Has to be in as small form factor as possible.

- Has to run off car 12v or 120v house power.

- Has to support 1-3 concurrent video streams (at most).

- I don't care if it runs Linux or Windows.

All my media (all standard DVDs) has already been converted to MP4 for transcode-less playback across a wide range of devices so I don't think the processor will need to be too powerful.

Ideally, this device would have wifi built-in where I can quickly toggle it between a normal wifi and "hotspot mode" so that devices can connect to it directly. I do have an old spare wifi router I could tack on the setup externally, but I'd rather have an all-in-one solution.

As far as storage goes, I'd probably run the OS and Emby Server off a SSD or M.2 drive (~64GB enough you think?). Then for the media, I'd probably use a 500GB-1TB external hard drive. If that's not possible for whatever reason, I can probably just get a single 1TB SSD and use it both for the OS and media.

Has anyone built something like this?

A couple options I've been looking at are GIGABYTE GB-BXBT-1900, Quantum Access LAN Windows 10 Fanless Mini PC Stick, systems like that.

Thanks for the answer, but I don't think I was clear. I'm not looking for a portable version of Emby, but rather what kind of minimum system requirements for a portable "server".

Happy2Play

In theory as long as everything is going to direct play any system should work.  While mobile I would probably disable all scheduled tasks since nothing is going to be added.  You would need to ensure databases were updated prior to going mobile.

System requirements

Only new update to system requirements would be .net 4.6.2 isn't supported on vista.

Edited by Happy2Play

Cool. Yeah, everything direct-plays on the real server, so should work the same on the portable one. And yes, I know I'll have to connect it to the internet initially (and if I change media content) to download all the metadata.

Thanks for the tip on disabling scheduled tasks; I hadn't thought of that.

If I use Windows, it'll be Win10.