Shield TV Audio Passthrough

JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

I did a search and saw some old threads regarding Emby on the Shield and audio passthrough.  However I couldn't find much recent stuff and so need some answers.

I recently picked up a Shield TV, nVidia claims Atmos capability.  I have it setup with my Atmos receiver but I don't seem to be getting Atmos data to the receiver.

Does Emby support untouched audio bit-streaming to the receiver, or do I need to look at another option for playback like Kodi, or  NUC/HTPC?

We can bitstream AC3 and DTS.  I have not tested Atmos specifically to see what happens there.

What is happening?  Is it playing straight DD?  What is the media info for the item?

JeremyFr79

We can bitstream AC3 and DTS.  I have not tested Atmos specifically to see what happens there.

What is happening?  Is it playing straight DD?  What is the media info for the item?

Server transcodes audio to 448kbps DD audio in 5.1 which obviously is quite a downgrade from ATMOS.

57d8a17d40add_Capture.png

The next beta should direct stream that (assuming available bandwidth).  Whether it actually sends the trueHD through or strips it down to the core ac3, I'm not sure...

JeremyFr79

The next beta should direct stream that (assuming available bandwidth).  Whether it actually sends the trueHD through or strips it down to the core ac3, I'm not sure...

Sounds good, let me know when it hit's and I can do testing.  My receiver gives a pretty awesome breakdown of signal it's receiving and how it's processing it etc.

ebr are you saying emby now can bitstream Dolby trueHD?

nvm i try .48 all i get is core DD 448, also DTS-HD only play the core DTS

Edited by mata7

• 1 month later...
Vidman

For the Shield you should use Kodi as your player for 100% compatibility with all sound formats.

Correction: you should use SPMC on sheild for 100% compatibility with all sound formats Edited by Vidman

MSattler

Correction: you should use SPMC on sheild for 100% compatibility with all sound formats

3.3 is out for the shield.   DTS-HD now hits the receiver as PCM.   TrueHD is showing on the receiver as Dolby Digital.

• 1 month later...
JeremyFr79

Just an update on my end, while I don't have the shield anymore I figured out my issue.  At the time I didn't have my Atmos speakers setup yet, and the Yamaha will only play the TrueHD portion of the stream if Atmos speakers aren't present/enabled on the reciever.  I can confirm DTS-X works as well, though with Yamaha you need to be in Straight mode otherwise it will apply Dolby or DTS-Neural processing to it and show it as DTS-HD.  Just in case anyone else is having issues using a Yamaha receiver.

MSattler

Just an update on my end, while I don't have the shield anymore I figured out my issue.  At the time I didn't have my Atmos speakers setup yet, and the Yamaha will only play the TrueHD portion of the stream if Atmos speakers aren't present/enabled on the reciever.  I can confirm DTS-X works as well, though with Yamaha you need to be in Straight mode otherwise it will apply Dolby or DTS-Neural processing to it and show it as DTS-HD.  Just in case anyone else is having issues using a Yamaha receiver.

Just to clarify, you are not getting DTS-HD and True-HD through the Emby app on the shield, right?

JeremyFr79

Just to clarify, you are not getting DTS-HD and True-HD through the Emby app on the shield, right?

No I never did, hence why I went back to an HTPC

MSattler

No I never did, hence why I went back to an HTPC

Yeah it's too bad.  Plex on my Shield passes TrueHD/DTSHD through with zero issues, hence my switch.