Video Playback Fails

crunchyemby

crunchyemby

I get the following error for every video that the system attempts to transcode. Direct playback was working, until I toggled "Hardware Acceleration" in: Mange Server >> Playback >> Transcoding >> Hardware acceleration. Now nothing plays and "Direct Playback" is no longer presented as an option, when playing the video. I'm about to wipe and re-install but thought I'd ask if anybody else has seen this problem. I did see that Mono 4.4.x was previously causing issues but @@Luke posted a fix for it in July. Thoughts?

---

Error ServiceStackHost: Error occured while Processing Request: Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down.

*** Error Report ***

Version: 3.0.6400.0

Command line: /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -ffmpeg /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/bin/ffprobe -programdata /var/db/emby-server

Operating system: Unix 10.3.0.0

Processor count: 8

64-Bit OS: True

64-Bit Process: True

Program data path: /var/db/emby-server

Mono: 4.4.2 (Stable 4.4.2.11/f72fe45 Mon Aug 22 04:48:30 UTC 2016)

Application Path: /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down.

System.IO.IOException

at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) <0x813da1bc0 + 0x002cc> in <filename unknown>:0 

at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.InternalWrite (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count) <0x813da1b10 + 0x0009a> in <filename unknown>:0 

at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.Write (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count) <0x813da0000 + 0x001d7> in <filename unknown>:0 

at ServiceStack.Formats.HtmlFormat.SerializeToStream (IRequest req, System.Object response, IResponse res) <0x8186ba0d0 + 0x00dae> in <filename unknown>:0 

at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteErrorToResponse (IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, System.String contentType, System.String operationName, System.String errorMessage, System.Exception ex, Int32 statusCode) <0x8186b81b0 + 0x00262> in <filename unknown>:0 

at ServiceStack.ServiceStackHost.HandleUncaughtException (IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, System.String operationName, System.Exception ex) <0x8186b7600 + 0x00140> in <filename unknown>:0 

at ServiceStack.HostContext.RaiseAndHandleUncaughtException (IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, System.String operationName, System.Exception ex) <0x8186b7440 + 0x0008b> in <filename unknown>:0 

at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.HandleResponseWriteException (System.Exception originalEx, IRequest request, IResponse response, System.String defaultContentType) <0x8186b71e0 + 0x00067> in <filename unknown>:0 

at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal+<WriteToResponse>d__6.MoveNext () <0x813d9a7d0 + 0x01ad6> in <filename unknown>:0 

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x8186b5d60 + 0x00038> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x8186b5a70 + 0x00118> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x8186b59a0 + 0x000b3> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x804f5b990 + 0x00042> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[TResult].GetResult () <0x813d9f910 + 0x0001a> in <filename unknown>:0 

at ServiceStack.Host.RestHandler+<ProcessRequestAsync>d__13.MoveNext () <0x813d86460 + 0x01279> in <filename unknown>:0 

InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException

The socket has been shut down

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags flags) <0x813da20b0 + 0x00103> in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) <0x813da1bc0 + 0x000c5> in <filename unknown>:0 

crunchyemby

Yes, I've disabled Hardware Encoding. See attached logs. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers!

Edited by crunchyemby

Yes, I've disabled Hardware Encoding. See attached logs. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers!

Well this log looks OK to me. Can you describe the issue in more detail? thanks.

crunchyemby

I was able to recover "Direct" playback ... I've been fiddling with a lot of stuff, but what I think did it was removing:

<HardwareAccelerationType />

<VaapiDevice>/dev/dri/card0</VaapiDevice>

After that, I re-saved "None" under "Hardware acceleration" ... The file re-wrote the deleted lines, and "Direct" playback returned as an option in the video playback screen. Of course, this is all rubbish, as I have attempted to reproduce the issue... without success. 

Although, as I was attempting to reproduce the issue, I did confirm a bug in the UI: The option for "Direct" playback comes and goes depending on the last option selected. Sometimes "Direct" playback can be recovered, by selected the top-most quality option and re-entering the quality settings (gear icon on video playback screen). Most of the time the "playback screen" just closes, returning the UI back to the video summary page.

If you want to get to the bottom of this, I'll be happy to work with you on it. Otherwise, can you tell me the easiest way to restore the configuration state to the original defaults? I'll just blow it all away and re-install, then report back.

Cheers!

crunchyemby

Well, the playback issue is too intermittent to track down. Playback works fine in Chrome, but not Firefox. Very few videos play in the Android app.

The playback url, from the logs, works fine in chrome, firefox, chrome mobile, and firefox mobile:

http://192.168.0.50:8096/emby/Videos/c9dbcb5aec673ab35cf843b25975c4fd/stream.mp4?Static=true&mediaSourceId=c9dbcb5aec673ab35cf843b25975c4fd&deviceId=b11f4aee8754255d&Tag=fdc6ca6f7e94902e8ff5fcd90cb43115

What's odd is that I can resume playback but if I attempt to play from the beginning, it'll go to a black screen and sometimes drop back into the video detail view.

Anybody else having issues? If not, I'll hack this up to an isolated event. Doesn't make sense why it would stop working immediately after installing 3.0.6400.0... Maybe I interrupted a migration script when I installed 3.0.6400.0?

crunchyemby

Fresh install done. Importing media now. Initially everything looked like it was resolved. But, as before, random videos are failing. I'm going to wait for the import to complete then I'll collect logs of successes and failures.