Cannot play to Chromecast

AceBlade258
Go to solution Solved by AceBlade258,

AceBlade258

It is a universal problem I am having, weather I am using Linux or Windows. I can get emby to start on the cc, but it will not play any media. I click/press play on the content I want to play and it does nothing; it does not matter where I am operating from.

Edited by AceBlade258

AceBlade258

Where can I pull the logs from the disk; running on Fedora 24? This last time I connected it to my chromecast it crashed and I cannot get it to come back up. (Restarting or stop/starting the service does not fix the problem. open to other suggestions.)

AceBlade258

Here is a log with a few playback attempts in it. Debugging was enabled. 

http://pastebin.com/z1tBJTrg

Let me know what else you need. I open up emby - with literally any emby app - and connect to my chromecast. Emby app starts on the chromecast, but when I press play on any media, nothing happens.

There is no activity in this log coming from the Chromecast device. What it looks like to me is that although your devices can connect to the Chromecast device, your Chromecast device cannot reach your Emby Server.

With the emby app, try connecting to the emby server by ip address instead of machine name.

AceBlade258

That works. Any clue why? I know my DHCP is handing out the correct local DNS servers, and I am positive every name that my Emby server uses resolves properly.

Side note, how do I get 7.1 working? It's only playing stereo for some reason; though that could be unrelated to emby. My computer picks up the TV's and not the Receiver's EDID, and only lets me use stereo because of it.

• Solution
AceBlade258

Was just able to stream the same movie in 5.1 from Plex, so I think my receiver is fine.

So to use Chromecast remotely, I will have to be accessing the server by IP address, and not name?

Edit: I think I figured out where/what the problem was locally: the server has two nics, and picked the isolated one as it's address (visible as the "Local Access" address in the dashboard). Under the "Advanced" settings page, set "Bind to local network address:" to the server's IP that the Chromecast will be accessing Emby from. I have not tested this remotely yet.

Edited by AceBlade258