Question about HD Live TV quality in 3.1.146.0 beta

mjktg99
Go to solution Solved by krustyreturns,

Server Version 3.1.146.0 beta and serverwmc.  On both my roku and android TV, transcoded live tv will not play in HD.  Looks like 480p.  I dont watch TV everyday but have within the last week and it was working fine so I cant say for sure which version it broke in.

Logs attached.

ffmpeg-transcode-a2e9ddbf-f1f4-4fda-9ef0-83a41cfaceb3.txt

server-63609219409.txt

It's not a question about live tv quality. It's a statement something is broken from a previous server version. I don't know why my title was changed.

From the Emby side of things everything looks normal. I don't see anything we can do to improve it for you. I notice the app is requesting a bitrate of 3.5mbps, which isn't bad although a higher bitrate would have better quality. So, maybe you customized the in-app quality setting and have since forgotten that you did that, or maybe it is still on automatic bitrate and it's detecting that 3.5 is your ideal bitrate. Note that Roku doesn't have automatic bitrate detection yet, so whatever quality you specify in app settings is what you'll end up getting.

Actually, I am blind, here is the answer. Look at your ffmpeg log and it will describe the characteristics of the live tv feed:

Input #0, mpegts, from 'http://192.168.1.10:9180/serverwmc.stream/StreamRemuxFile?clientName=Emby%5eMEDIASERVER%5e0':
  Duration: N/A, start: 0.720000, bitrate: N/A
  Program 1 
    Stream #0:0[0x1100](eng): Audio: ac3 ([129][0][0][0] / 0x0081), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s
    Stream #0:1[0x1101](spa): Audio: ac3 ([129][0][0][0] / 0x0081), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
    Stream #0:2[0x1011]: Video: mpeg2video (Main) ([2][0][0][0] / 0x0002), yuv420p(tv), 720x480 [SAR 8:9 DAR 4:3], max. 6000 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc

So you're feeding it a 720*480 stream, and then complaining that Emby is broken. Have a nice day :)

krustyreturns

I don't understand.  The complaint is that the stream is low res?  Are you saying it was originally hd, and somehow swmc converted it to low res?

• Solution
krustyreturns

If that is the problem, what could be happening is that this channel has multiple sources and some of the sources are SD.  By default swmc uses the channel sources in opposite priority order then wmc does, so that might explain what you are seeing.  if that's the case, your options are to disable the sd sources for this channel (see wmc 'edit sources', or you can force swmc to take the sources in the same order as wmc (not recommended).

• Like 1

If that is the problem, what could be happening is that this channel has multiple sources and some of the sources are SD.  By default swmc uses the channel sources in opposite priority order then wmc does, so that might explain what you are seeing.  if that's the case, your options are to disable the sd sources for this channel (see wmc 'edit sources', or you can force swmc to take the sources in the same order as wmc (not recommended).

That looks like that was my issue.  I dont know how the SD channel got added as a source.  It appears to be the only channel that happened on.  WMC does weird things some times..  Thanks for the brain power!