Some Files Crashing Emby Theater

Jobber8742
Go to solution Solved by babgvant,

Jobber8742

I seem to have a problem with certain files immediately crashing Emby Theater. When I start the files, Theater crashes and I have to restart. This seems to only occur on the classic Windows Desktop versions of Theater on my Windows 7 machines. I have Emby for WMC still loaded on one of the Windows 7 machines and the files will load in that just fine. I tried the files the Windows 10 Theater on another machine and they load fine. They files also load fine in the web browser on that machine. I'm guessing the Windows Desktop version doesn't like the way they are encoded for some reason. Is there any way to remedy this. Screenshots of the file info for a couple of the files are below. Log from one of the machines attached as well.

57d552fae731b_mrmom.jpg

57d5530a841fb_truecolors.jpg

theater-63609175814.txt

Jobber8742

Can you provide a sample file, thanks.

I cut the studio intro screen out for a sample. I think that's what you are looking for. Tested it on Theater and it still crashed it. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt3oi7xtzwxzw8q/test.mkv?dl=0

Also just tested on my Windows 10 laptop that I hadn't updated the app on yet. It crashed with the desktop app. I uninstalled that and installed the Windows 10 app and the files worked. 

Edited by Jobber8742

• 2 weeks later...
babgvant

The exception comes from ffmpeg in LAV splitter. I'm investigating this a bit further, but it's likely that it will need to be resolved there.

Jobber8742

The exception comes from ffmpeg in LAV splitter. I'm investigating this a bit further, but it's likely that it will need to be resolved there.

Thanks for the update. I've pretty much abandoned Theater temporarily until it is resolved. So many of my files are crashing.  

Jobber8742

Is the a common source for these? I haven't run across this problem before.

I thought so, but it seems to be doing it on straight Blu-Ray rips I've made using MakeMKV as well. Some of them work and some of them do not. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. Maybe I can do a test and see if the failing ones have an audio codec in common or something. These files are housed on different drives on two different servers, so the hardware doesn't seem to be the problem.

Jobber8742

Curious that make mkv is involved. That's how I deplastic BD. Never had this issue.

Me either until this popped up. Not all are from MakeMKV though. Some are from other sources. 

Guest asrequested

Ok, It's the sub title track. I remuxed it multiple different ways, and the only way it'll play is if I remove the subs. I even tried removing them and then remuxing them back in, no bueno! There's something wrong with the sub rip. It won't even play if I disable subs in the settings. 

Update:

Extracting the sub file and looking at it, it's empty. This may be the problem.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

• Solution
babgvant

I built LAV from source and it appears to have resolved this issue. If you want to test, extract the ZIP file to your COMObjects folder.

LAV.zip

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I built LAV from source and it appears to have resolved this issue. If you want to test, extract the ZIP file to your COMObjects folder.

I can confirm that works for me, too

• 2 weeks later...
Jobber8742

Just revisited this and can confirm the LAV build you attached works. Much better alternative than taking the subtitle tracks out of all of the files that didn't work. Thanks for figuring this out. 

babgvant

Just revisited this and can confirm the LAV build you attached works. Much better alternative than taking the subtitle tracks out of all of the files that didn't work. Thanks for figuring this out. 

Hopefully we'll see an official build soon that we can send out more broadly.