Not Downloading People On New Server

Scott310

Scott310

Hey guys,

I just moved to a new server and everything is working perfectly.  The only thing is it doesn't seem to be downloading actors and biographies.  I did a refresh people scan but it ended quickly.  On the emby theater app no actors come up at all where they used to on the old machine.  Am I completely missing something?  I went onto 7illusions app and the actors showed up but with no pictures.  But if I click on the actor then it seems to download the picture.  Emby theater shows nothing at all.  Also where are the actors Pics saved?  Are they hidden in with the movie's metadata?  I ask this because the new server has an SSD drive with very little space on it.  Do I use path substitutions to change it from the C: to the D; Drive to save space on the SSD?

Sorry I know that's more like two questions but this is the last hiccup I have and then I can completely enjoy my emby experience!

Happy2Play

What do you mean you "use path substitutions to change it from the C: to the D"?  People are stored in your metadata folder.  %appdata%\Emby-server\metadata unless you have assigned a custom path for metadata. Dashboard-Library-Advanced

The default setting for people is download on demand, so browsing in some clients populates the information.  You will probably want to enable the "Download all images in advance" option. Dashboard-Metadata

Download all images in advance
By default, most secondary images are only downloaded when requested by an Emby app. Enable this option to download all images in advance, as new media is imported.

As for actor not showing in Theater that is by design, so if they are missing they don't display.  The web client and other app behave differently in this situation. 

Path Substitution

Edited by Happy2Play

Scott310

Ok I get it about the path substitution. But as far as the people, they used to show up in theater for my existing library but then I migrated to another server and they don't show up anymore where as they always did for every movie. What exactly do I need to do to have them start showing up again for my existing library? Thanks again for your help...

Happy2Play

You didn't migrate the people folder from one server to another.  When Imagebyname and Metadata folder merged the People folder is forgotten when someone rebuilds or migrates to a new system, useless they are using a custom Metadata path, then it is a matter of pointing the new server to that same path.  If you still have your old server migrate the contents of the Metadata folder to the new server.

Scott310

Hi there,

I created a custom metadata path on the new server.  I migrated the metadata folder from the old server to the new.  I also moved anything that was in the newly created default metadata folder and moved it to the custom path. I did a refresh people task and did a full library scan.  The people's names show up without photos in the android app and web app.  If you click on their name it will show you their photo but it is not showing initially when you are on the main page.  Also Emby theater still shows no people of photos on all movie detail pages.

What am I missing?

Happy2Play

First since you created and set a custom path I would ask, where?  What folders are in that custom path?  And did you end up with a metadata folder inside your metadata folder?

Happy2Play

The issue usually is Emby creates an additional metadata folder so if you point to X:\Metadata, the metadata will actually be created in x:\Metadata\metadata.

Happy2Play

I personally think it is a bug, but it is by design.  So you have two options move everything to the second created metadata folder order change your custom metadata path up one level.

So my example of X:\metadata would be X:\ for custom path.

This is by design, but don't blame us, blame your fellow emby users. we see a lot of cases where people will use same path for everything, metadata, cache, transcoding, etc. Then they come back and report problems when different parts of the server fight with each other over the same folder paths. So the only way to guarantee that we avoid that situation is by using the subfolder technique.

• Like 1