Unhandled exception: the path is not of a legal form

tp546

Hi guys,

All of a sudden, my Emby server started having issues and I get this error message on the screen:

Unhandled exception: the path is not of a legal form

Any time this message comes up, Emby has already been shut down as a result. How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks Luke. I think I found the relevant log - here is what it contains:

The path is not of a legal form.
System.ArgumentException
at System.IO.Path.NewNormalizePathLimitedChecks(String path, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
at System.IO.Path.InternalGetDirectoryName(String path)
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.IO.LibraryMonitor.<>c__DisplayClass15.<ReportFileSystemChanged>b__14(String i)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.IO.LibraryMonitor.ReportFileSystemChanged(String path)
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.IO.LibraryMonitor.<ReportFileSystemChangeComplete>d__3.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_1(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

EDIT: here is the server log from the same time period: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/472290/mb3%20logs/Log.txt

Edited by tp546

• 2 weeks later...

Please provide a new server log. thanks.

Have you had a chance to look at any of the logs? I am still getting this error and I'm also realizing now that many of the items I have in subfolders of one of my main folders are no longer showing up in Emby. I don't know if these are related but please let me know. Thanks.

Not sure yet. I think it's something specific to your files but I don't know what it is yet. But we can catch the error, log it and continue instead of crashing.