Merge Channel

Volfan6415

Volfan6415

So i have an HD Homerun Prime and HD Home run Dual, using the built in Live TV support.

Is there a way to merge channels between the two tuners?

For example channel 6.1 on the Dual is the same as channel 1007 on the HD Homerun Prime.  In WMC these channels show up as the same (1007) with 5 different sources. 

Edited by Volfan6415
  • Like 1

Volfan6415

Bumping to see if there is a way to merge these channels. I have also noticed that if I map both channels to the same guide information only one of the channels actually show the info in the guide.

Volfan6415

Well it detected most of mine automatically, although admittedly i am not sure how it did that. But i am guessing that has more to do with the guide data for each channel.  However, there is a way to manually merge channel together by simply pointing two seperate channels to the same guide source.  Then WMC will offer to "merge the channels" for you.  Then the guide listing for the two seprate is replaced and the sources for the combined channel show as options under the new combined channel.   Below is a screenshot for my channel 1007 WDSU with both tuner options listed:57d85a6ad31d9_mergedchannels.jpg

Volfan6415

Luke i think the problem they were talking about any ultimately fixed in this thread:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/28338-multiple-tuner-devices-but-only-get-guide-data-for-one-at-a-time/page-2

Is the same one that I am having.  Although they were looking at a broader issues of using multiple guide sources the issue of multiple tuners from different sources utilizing the same channel was addressed and a channel mapping solution per tuner was added.

Edited by Volfan6415

• 5 years later...

Hi, 

I was searching for this question just now and found this post, so rather than starting a new post…

I was testing NextPVR and it merges all the channels with the same name which is very useful when you have multiple tuners (e.g. dual o quad) and by merging you end up with only one channel but with multiple sources. So when you tune in to a channel, it will still recognise you have multiple sources/tuners so you still can watch the same channel at the same time. 

Is this possible in Emby?

Thank you.

Yes it is for like tuners.

I have 3 HDHomeRun Primes each with 3 tuners.  In Emby I have one set of channels only but Emby will roll over to the 2nd then 3rd tuner as needed.

I also have OTA via Quatro tuner. Even though some of the OTA channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS are present on cable as well these will not get merged as they have different channel numbers.

In the future it may be possible to merge these as well so I could use OTA first when possible saving the cable tuners for channels not available via OTA. This type of functionality is in the new version of LiveTV currently in dev and early testing. I'm able to set OTA first, Cable 2nd, and m3u tuners 3rd for priority. Then I can manually "stack" the channels that are the same between the dissimilar tuners. It still automatically stacks/merges tuners that are the same type.

Hope that helps,

PS don't ask when this will be released.  The answer is when it's ready. :)

• Like 1

@cayars, that is very exciting, thank you for explaining. I also have two quad tuners, one freeview (OTA) and one Freesat and in NextPVR they all get merged regardless of the tuner so the server just picks whatever is available which is an amazing feature. It really exciting to know this will also be a feature of Emby. 

As giddy as I am, I have noted your release answer and will refrain from asking but I am really hoping soon! I really like Emby and once we have these live TV features, to me it will be complete. Please think of me if it comes to a point you need testers. I will love to take part.

Again and as always, thank you for taking time for such a detailed explanation. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
StLDreiling

Thanks @Marlor for the bump this and @cayars for the explanation! Customizing tuner priority and channel stacking will be a huge benefit and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in action. I know the next major release is already bringing huge improvements to live TV (looking forward to hearing my ATSC 3.0 streams lol). Keep up the great work!

• Like 1