Roku 1 and Fire TV Transcoding Profiles

roberto188

roberto188

When transcoding files for playback on my Roku 1 and Fire TV the video will periodically skip or drop frames. The connection is solid, over 30 mega bits /sec and the settings are far below that. The encoder log indicates that FFMPEG is encoding with a level 5.0 profile. However, roku 1 and fire tv only support up to level 4.1. I believe this is why these devices are "choking" on the transcoded material, no matter how low a bitrate I chose. Is there anyway to have emby encode only to 4.1 level? Why is it using 5.0 in the first place? Isn't 4.1 industry standard level for h264 for most devices?

I noticed this too, so I made a setting to control that in the blue neon roku app. This may solve the issue on the roku side, not sure if you already have.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/?p=362590

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

roberto188

I noticed this too, so I made a setting to control that in the blue neon roku app. This may solve the issue on the roku side, not sure if you already have.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/?p=362590

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Awesome man! Thanks. Now if I can get something like this on fireTV would be great. Why isn't Emby propertly detecting the device and setting the correct level?

Awesome man! Thanks. Now if I can get something like this on fireTV would be great. Why isn't Emby propertly detecting the device and setting the correct level?

It is up to the device to send the appropriate capabilties profile to the server to do this. The roku is a lenient device, the docs only go skin deep. Officially level 41 is the max. Unofficially, depending on roku model no it isnt, level 51 is max.

The roku1 it is akin to an roku 2 XD. It is relatively underpowered for high-bitrate 1080p, with the level at 50, even moreso. There is only so much their little soc hearts can do.

I honestly dont know why the jump to level 50/51. Only luke has an answer for that.

Edited by speechles

roberto188

It is up to the device to send the appropriate capabilties profile to the server to do this. The roku is a lenient device, the docs only go skin deep. Officially level 41 is the max. Unofficially, depending on roku model no it isnt, level 51 is max.

The roku1 it is akin to an roku 2 XD. It is relatively underpowered for high-bitrate 1080p, with the level at 50, even moreso. There is only so much their little soc hearts can do.

I honestly dont know why the jump to level 50/51. Only luke has an answer for that.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, using the custom emby app in Roku with the lower profile didn't solve the problem. 

I have 2 roku 1's and a fire tv stick. One of my roku ones is connected to a wireless access point and doesn't have any issue, the other roku and fire tv stick are connected to another wireless access point and both of those seem to have the skipping and corrupt frames despite a speedtes showing a downstream rate of over 30 Mbps. There must be some packet loss in my wireless system that is causing this. Should be an easy fix, I have a few other wireless routers laying around. I'll swap them out and see what the results are. Thanks for all the help!