Forced Subtitles not playing by default

Dex150489
Go to solution Solved by Guest asrequested,

Dex150489

Hi All,

Hopefully this will be a much easier issue to solve.

This effects pretty much all my movies and i just wondered if there is something within emby that can solve this.

When i play said movie by default none of the sub tracks play automatically, 1 is a track for all dialog the other is for all the non-english speech.

post-56536-0-49492500-1472931545_thumb.png

Now i've tried playing with the subtitle mode options and non of them work other than "always play subtitles" which uses the 1st track and gives all speech a subtitle.

Looking back at the screen shot i have noticed that there is a default and forced option under each sub track both listed as "no". is there a way to edit this to yes so that the second sub track plays by default?

I've tried editing the .nfo file changing the value from FALSE to TRUE but the nfo gets overwritten and resets it back to FALSE.

Thanks again for all your help!

• Solution
Guest asrequested

Now I've tried playing with the subtitle mode options and non of them work other than "always play subtitles" which uses the 1st track and gives all speech a subtitle.

Looking back at the screen shot i have noticed that there is a default and forced option under each sub track both listed as "no". is there a way to edit this to yes so that the second sub track plays by default?

The first thing you need to do is make sure that the subtitle track contains only the forced text. Then you can use mkvtoolnix to remux and designate the track as forced. When you ripped the disk, did you select the option for 'forced only'  or 'forced and normal'? If you chose 'forced and normal', then most likely the forced text is among all the other text. If you chose 'forced only', figure out which one it is, then simply remux and you should be fine. Otherwise you'll have to edit the subtext or re-rip the disk.

• Like 1

Dex150489

Hi, you'd have to change the attribute within the video file in order to have Emby reflect it.

I thought as much, thanks for letting me know.

The first thing you need to do is make sure that the subtitle track contains only the forced text. Then you can use mkvtoolnix to remux and designate the track as forced. When you ripped the disk, did you select the option for 'forced only'  or 'forced and normal'? If you chose 'forced and normal', then most likely the forced text is among all the other text. If you chose 'forced only', figure out which one it is, then simply remux and you should be fine. Otherwise you'll have to edit the subtext or re-rip the disk.

I'm just running Cap 2 through mkvtoolnix to see if this works, i assume then i can just leave the subtitle mode to default as the mkv will automatically turn on the sub i've flagged? 

Dex150489

Never mind my last question. the answer is yes.

now to go back and sort out subtitles on all my movies.....yippee!

Thank again!

No, overriding in emby is not a good idea, because when you direct play the video players are going to be looking at track information, not emby metadata.

Dex150489

I'm currently using MakeMKV to convert iso to mkv and a friend said there is a "request feature" on the website so if that's true I'll attempt to ask if that option can be added to that program to save running the files through mkvtoolnix on top.

In mkvtoolnix you don't even have to remux to fix the forced flag... just open your file in the headers tab, do your changes and save... its instantaneous.

Just refresh the file in emby after and the changes should appear.

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

I wasn't aware of that, thanks. I often like to remux, anyway. Sometimes the file has some errors, and remuxing clears it up.

Dex150489

In mkvtoolnix you don't even have to remux to fix the forced flag... just open your file in the headers tab, do your changes and save... its instantaneous.

Just refresh the file in emby after and the changes should appear.

I did not know this, that is a handy trick. I'll look into that when i'm home from work. Will save me 15mins a movie! Thanks MndWrp!

Also the admins at MakeMKV got back to me, sounds like this  particular conversation has been had many times and will not be added as a feature.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14621&p=51631#p51631

At least we know for sure now.

Dex