Plex DVR

pünktchen

Of course, we are aware.

A couple notes:

1) No actual Live TV support.  Only recordings.

2) This is actually an integration with the Silicon Dust DVR so it requires that you also have that

3) The HDHR is the only back-end it supports right now.

mgworek

I saw that news yesterday. Loved the whole  'the only way to get a really great DVR experience".......I don't use the Emby Live TV or DVR functions but I have knew it was there years before I switched to MB/Emby. If I actually needed those features, I would have switched sooner.

pünktchen

Of course, we are aware.

A couple notes:

1) No actual Live TV support. Only recordings.

2) This is actually an integration with the Silicon Dust DVR so it requires that you also have that

3) That is the only back-end it supports

It's a just a reminder for you devs to keep Emby always one step further than Plex. The time they get Live TV working, we should have timeshifting already [emoji6]
  • Like 2

CBers

The only thing that Plex over Emby with this offering, is the included EPG with their Plex Pass.

I've commented on the blog. Let's see if it gets passed the moderators :)

It's a just a reminder for you devs to keep Emby always one step further than Plex. The time they get Live TV working, we should have timeshifting already [emoji6]

Yup.  Point taken.

jasonmcroy

I tried out the Plex DVR yesterday just out of curiosity. They don't have anything better than Emby or the Silicon Dust DVR in my opinion. They actually have less features right now since, as Ebr stated, there is no Live TV.

My EPG guide didn't provide any "New" tags for any shows and therefore any recordings set as "New Only" will still record shows that aren't "New'. When I posted this as a "bug" I get back "It's a problem with the EPG provider and out of Plex's control". Really? You pay for something that you can't get support for? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Emby TV has some great support from Schedules Direct right here in the forum. Even if that didn't exist you can at least go over to the Schedule's Direct website and get support there as well.

While I do like to test out other applications when they get new stuff to play with I have always used Emby as my production server since I find the support better and faster with what is less people working on it. 

I think Plex has a long ways to go before their TV watching/recording implementation is up to par with Emby or even the Silicon Dust DVR solution.

im85288

I tried out the Plex DVR yesterday just out of curiosity. They don't have anything better than Emby or the Silicon Dust DVR in my opinion. They actually have less features right now since, as Ebr stated, there is no Live TV.

My EPG guide didn't provide any "New" tags for any shows and therefore any recordings set as "New Only" will still record shows that aren't "New'. When I posted this as a "bug" I get back "It's a problem with the EPG provider and out of Plex's control". Really? You pay for something that you can't get support for? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Emby TV has some great support from Schedules Direct right here in the forum. Even if that didn't exist you can at least go over to the Schedule's Direct website and get support there as well.

While I do like to test out other applications when they get new stuff to play with I have always used Emby as my production server since I find the support better and faster with what is less people working on it. 

I think Plex has a long ways to go before their TV watching/recording implementation is up to par with Emby or even the Silicon Dust DVR solution.

Interesting comments, I wouldn't say you pay for the schedules...more it's one of the multiple additions you get for being a Plex pass member (in addition to music videos etc etc). Yes they do not have Live TV yet but it's generated a lot of publicity and will surely only improve. My understanding is live tv/time shifting is next on their hit list and I imagine other live tv backend support will not be far off either. The standard Kodi ones will surely be ported over (tvheadend, vdr, filmon etc)

jasonmcroy

Interesting comments, I wouldn't say you pay for the schedules...more it's one of the multiple additions you get for being a Plex pass member (in addition to music videos etc etc). 

I actually meant more of Plex probably pays for the EPG provider data. Yes, it's included in your Plex Pass subscription so not something you directly pay for. On that part of my comment I just meant it seems like Plex should be able to get things like this corrected with the provider. 

As an example, with the Silicon Dust EPG if you find that there is an error with the EPG you post in the forum and Nick usually has it fixed in about an hour with the Provider. I am not sure who they use but they have a support line with them.

I may be missing something in what I am saying about Plex's relationship with the EPG provider and be totally off base, it was just my experience.

im85288

No worries just wanted to clarify the pay for EPG part. I haven't actually used it so your experience is very handy.

Personally I use webgrabplus: http://webgrabplus.com for grabbing my EPG (it gets the logos and program images) and it's solid as a rock. Combine that with the tv guide addon linked in my signature and you can link the channels from Emby for Kodi to the TV guide addon to create your own personal TV guide.

Anyway let's see what happens in the future, but to be fair it's about time Plex got on board with providing a DVR experience.

Edited by im85288

jasonmcroy

Agreed. It will definitely be a plus for Plex since so many users have been asking for this for years. The feature request thread for that implementation was one of their largest. I just read a thread over in the Silicon Dust forums that because of the Plex implementation the online sellers of HDHomeruns are running out of stock all of a sudden. So, my point in saying that is their PR department is very effective. I now see ads for it everywhere.

Thanks for your mention of webgrabplus, I will check that out. I have never heard of it before. 

• Like 1

Not true.

Well, that's what was reported in their announcement.  So you actually don't have to install the HDHR DVR?

Thanks for this.  I have never been able to figure out how to setup the TVguide feature.  Maybe this will help.  I don't have Live TV (yet) but I read that a TVGuide is a good thing to add to KODI so you know what's on without exiting Kodi.

No worries just wanted to clarify the pay for EPG part. I haven't actually used it so your experience is very handy.

Personally I use webgrabplus: http://webgrabplus.com for grabbing my EPG (it gets the logos and program images) and it's solid as a rock. Combine that with the tv guide addon linked in my signature and you can link the channels from Emby for Kodi to the TV guide addon to create your own personal TV guide.

Anyway let's see what happens in the future, but to be fair it's about time Plex got on board with providing a DVR experience.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I was suggesting that they incorporate the code into their software. They clearly state that they're partners. I was inferring that they struck a deal to use their code.

blade005

Agreed. It will definitely be a plus for Plex since so many users have been asking for this for years. The feature request thread for that implementation was one of their largest. I just read a thread over in the Silicon Dust forums that because of the Plex implementation the online sellers of HDHomeruns are running out of stock all of a sudden. So, my point in saying that is their PR department is very effective. I now see ads for it everywhere.

Thanks for your mention of webgrabplus, I will check that out. I have never heard of it before. 

They were not exaggerating about a run on HD HomeRun devices in that thread.

Luckily I picked up two (2) HD HomeRun Connect devices a few weeks ago on Amazon for $85 USD a piece.  Snapped them into Emby Live TV and was off and running in no time. Worked so well, I decided to jump on Amazon today to see about adding a third device to round out my tuners at six (6) before new Fall TV ramps up.

Amazon is showing OUT OF STOCK status and the retail price is now $113 USD. Thanks a lot Plex PR department!!  :-)

• 1 year later...

To be fair with a little work tvguide data can be had for free, at least in linux for sure.

One thing i am curious about, if i pull down the icons and such will emby display them in the guide? I thought i had tried it once and saw no difference in the guide.