Beta to Dev?

LaurenceM

LaurenceM

Heya,

Just wanna say thanks for the great support previously, i've purchased a year of Emby now for your hard efforts :) 

To the issue: 

The other day I logged in to see Emby had somehow downloaded a Dev build, I never requested that it downloads it, just somehow chose to put itself on the Dev channel. Either way, i reverted back to Beta and it's still on the Dev build version because i'm guessing it's not going to roll back.  

My question:

Will it wait until the Beta version goes past the downloaded dev version before updating again or am i doomed and stuck on dev forever? 

Apologies if it's been asked somewhere before. 

Hi, thanks :) That was a defect in a recent beta about a week ago. It's resolved now. What you can do is just install the latest beta on top of your existing dev version and it will be fine.

the1legend

Hi, thanks :) That was a defect in a recent beta about a week ago. It's resolved now. What you can do is just install the latest beta on top of your existing dev version and it will be fine.

@@Luke I have been having an issue for the past few days that I outlined here.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/38627-server-seems-fine-but-all-apps-stop-responding/

Turns out that the same thing has happened to me. I just followed the suggestion you gave to @@LaurenceM but the server wants to keep updating to the dev version. Any way of working around this?

57c9f0734cfb0_Capture.png

CashMoney

@@the1legend - make sure the UPDATE LEVEL in the Dashboard is set to BETA or STABLE, as preferred.

The option is under Settings, Automatic Updates.

What if you don't have that option?

57cd3f5b65fe1_server1.jpg

Just noticed mine has gone to dev as well, currently on Version 3.1.6092.1369 dev (unstable). Will try installing beta over the top when I get home.

Happy2Play

What if you don't have that option?

57cd3f5b65fe1_server1.jpg

Just noticed mine has gone to dev as well, currently on Version 3.1.6092.1369 dev (unstable). Will try installing beta over the top when I get home.

Looks like the option is being removed, so you have to install the version you want via the installer.  And will maintain that level.

Beta is the same way, now.

CBers

Looks like the option is being removed, so you have to install the version you want via the installer. And will maintain that level.

Beta is the same way, now.

What? Why?

Sorry yes, forgot to mention that.

Yes no more confusion. Simplicitly is bliss. Just install from the website, and whatever version you install will dictate your auto up

• Like 4

Yes no more confusion. Simplicitly is bliss. Just install from the website, and whatever version you install will dictate your auto up

Just noticed the same.  So to be sure, reinstalling beta over dev is safe? Correct?

Just installed Beta over Dev.

Beta version number has dev descriptor and it wants to install real dev over the top again

57cfb4ce74d24_Capture.png

Happy2Play

At this point you will need to shutdown the server and open the system.xml (x:\users\username\appdata\roaming\emby-server\config) and modify <SystemUpdateLevel>Dev</SystemUpdateLevel> to Beta.  You can also delete the update folder that will be holding the pending update.

• Like 1

CBers

@@SamES - check the system.xml file in the config folder and make sure the system level is set to Beta.

I had the same issue on one of my friend's systems last night.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@@Luke commented in the firewall topic about this issues.  But here is some more insight.  The server currently requires an additional restart to set the update level when installing over a higher or lower release.  So if I install Stable and then install Dev over Stable the system.xml still reads Release until you restart again.

So this causes issues when downgrading because the Scheduled Task "Check for application updates" runs at app startup and the system.xml still reads the previous version and instantly pulls the update for the version you just downgraded from.

CBers

Too much confusion over this change.

Still no clear reason as to why after 3.5 years that this had to be changed !!

• Like 2

Happy2Play

@@Luke commented in the firewall topic about this issues.  But here is some more insight.  The server currently requires an additional restart to set the update level when installing over a higher or lower release.  So if I install Stable and then install Dev over Stable the system.xml still reads Release until you restart again.

So this causes issues when downgrading because the Scheduled Task "Check for application updates" runs at app startup and the system.xml still reads the previous version and instantly pulls the update for the version you just downgraded from.

This is resolved in the new beta and dev, the system.xml is changed at first launch of install.

3.1.139-beta

3.1.6094.3863-dev

• Like 2

At this point you will need to shutdown the server and open the system.xml (x:\users\username\appdata\roaming\emby-server\config) and modify <SystemUpdateLevel>Dev</SystemUpdateLevel> to Beta.  You can also delete the update folder that will be holding the pending update.

Thanks, this got it.

Too much confusion over this change.

Still no clear reason as to why after 3.5 years that this had to be changed !!

Luke posted a clear reason in another thread but the bottom line was that, with our version numbering scheme now, the setting was simply not going to work properly anymore.  Someone would install one dev version and then not move off of it for a long time - causing any amount of havoc and frustration for that user.

• Like 1

CBers

Luke posted a clear reason in another thread but the bottom line was that, with our version numbering scheme now, the setting was simply not going to work properly anymore.  Someone would install one dev version and then not move off of it for a long time - causing any amount of havoc and frustration for that user.

So what has changed in the numbering scheme to cause this problem ??

It would be nice to have advanced warnings of this sort of thing.

I know I run DEV server, but in the old days, we were kept up to date with a lot more information on what is due to happen and why.

Seems that the 90/10 rule that Emby had in the beginning isn't relevant any more.

Just asking for some more up-front information :)

Thanks.

CashMoney

This is resolved in the new beta and dev, the system.xml is changed at first launch of install.

3.1.139-beta

3.1.6094.3863-dev

3.1.140 beta over the top of dev, still says dev and wants to restart to install 3.1.6095.3092 dev.

Not fixed, not happy about this. Will edit the XML. 

• Like 1

3.1.140 beta over the top of dev, still says dev and wants to restart to install 3.1.6095.3092 dev.

Not fixed, not happy about this. Will edit the XML.

Thank you for being a tester.

• Like 1

I think this does fit the 90/10 rule better than before. You pick your update level at the time you install emby server, then you never have to worry about it again.

MSattler

I think this does fit the 90/10 rule better than before. You pick your update level at the time you install emby server, then you never have to worry about it again.

So because of developers making simple mistakes options are taken away?  What happened to this being about what the users want/need?  Now you are going to have people dicking with an xml file when they try to make this change, instead of making it in a gui.

smh....

Even that won't have any effect. You're not losing anything. If you want beta, install the beta. If you want dev or stable, install those. I think that is flexible enough.

• Like 1