Kodi crashing

Pirlo1966
Go to solution Solved by mastrmind11,

Pirlo1966

Kodi Jarvis

Emby add-on 2.2.20

Am running Kodi on my Nvidia shield tv console device

Latest Emby server

Kodi seems to crash and exit after a short while when playing some movies. This is new behaviour. I never expercienced it before. I also notice when firing up kodi it always mentions ''preparing for first run"? Normal?

Emby server log attached. I have no clue how to get the kodi logs out of my shield console. I tried to install Add-ons > Get Add-ons > Program Add-ons > XBMC Log Uploader but couldn't find XBMC Log Uploader.

server-63608318317.txt

Edited by ehgeahrev

Angelblue05

Your server log won't be of any use in this case.

We don't have any such dialog that says: "preparation for first run". We would really need your Kodi log to see if the issue is with Emby for Kodi or something else.

Xbmclogs uploader is dead (we will have to update the report problem post). For the log, check this out: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=288153

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Solution
mastrmind11

Kodi Jarvis

Emby add-on 2.2.20

Am running Kodi on my Nvidia shield tv console device

Latest Emby server

Kodi seems to crash and exit after a short while when playing some movies. This is new behaviour. I never expercienced it before. I also notice when firing up kodi it always mentions ''preparing for first run"? Normal?

Emby server log attached. I have no clue how to get the kodi logs out of my shield console. I tried to install Add-ons > Get Add-ons > Program Add-ons > XBMC Log Uploader but couldn't find XBMC Log Uploader.

I recall running into this issue a while back on an Android device that was low on storage.  

• Like 1

Pirlo1966

Yes, it seems storage is running out on my NVIDIA shield console. Kodi is using > 9GB of the avaiklable 10GB for apps ... When reinstalling from scratch I notice every user profile added uses another 2 to 3 GB of storage. Why is that? The only difference between profiles would be access or not to some folders and playstates, right?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong when setting up profiles?

In profiles:

Mediainfo > separate / shares with default / shares with default (read only)???

Media sources > separate / shares with default / shares with default (read only)???

And when asked during set up,

1. should I start with fresh settings or copy form default?

2  should I start with fresh media sources or copy form default?

Thanks for helping. Setting up diiferent user profiles (I need 4 , one for each member of my family) has been a pain in the a...

The storage may be the caching of images to the image database within Kodi.

I'm probably wrong, but I see >1Gb of storage in use by Kodi on my Shield TVs as well.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

The only thing that takes real storage space is artwork caching. This is enforced by the add-on, but even if it wasn't, Kodi does this automatically over time. The workaround is you can move the thumbnails folder to a different/central location by using path substitution in advancedsettings.xml

You can google for examples.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Pirlo1966

But is this art work caching repeated for every user profile created in kodi? And if yes, why? I have the impression it is ...

When I only create one user profile kodi storage usage is about 3 GB. As soon as I add another profile storage used by Kodi rises with another 2 Gb etc ...

Angelblue05

Yes artwork caching happens for every Kodi profiles because profiles are independent from each other. This is how Kodi works. However, it should not keep growing in size unless you add more content. We do delete artwork when content is delete and we replace artwork when they are replaced in Emby.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Pirlo1966

? So, every movie/music art is cached for every profile? So, if I need 4 profiles every art will be cached 4 times and use 4 times storage amount?

Angelblue05

Yes that is correct. That's how Kodi works. This is why you can move the thumbnails folder to a different location if you are short on storage space. However note that this will effect how fast your artwork loads in Kodi while browsing so you have to be mindful of where you decide to move the folder to.

Just google it, it's pretty self explanatory.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Pirlo1966

thanks. you are being helpful.

I guess these settings/questions asked by Kodi/Emby when setting up different profiles are not relevant?

In Kodi profiles settings:

Mediainfo > separate / shares with default / shares with default (read only)???

Media sources > separate / shares with default / shares with default (read only)???

And for these questions: fresh settings or copy from deafult

1. should I start with fresh settings or copy form default?

2  should I start with fresh media sources or copy form default?

Angelblue05

Separate/Separate/default/default

Your emby content is handled solely by the emby add-on. Everything is created in accordance to each emby user. So nothing should be copied over, otherwise it may have some adverse outcome. Hope this helps :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1