Android- IR Remote control and Keyboard control

robertn78

robertn78

Hello,

I have a Minix neo X7 Mini.  It comes with a IR remote control.  It works great in XMBC.  But there is no remote support for Media Browser.  Is there any way to make it work with a remote?

I am using a keyboard / touchpad as my current interface.  Keyboard interface works, but one gripe.  Moving through the different headings (Favorites, New, Next up, etc.) it may seem to not work if there is no content in that heading.  But if you press over a couple of times, it will move to the next heading.  Just no feedback to the user.  Maybe it could highlight the heading if there is no content and move to the next heading.

The touchpad is very difficult to interface with the headings on the main page.  you have to press and try to swipe the whole screen and can be difficult.  Making the headings a "link" may be an advantage to the IR remote and the keyboard interface.

I realize the Android system is meant to be a Touch interface, but I think these Android HTPC's are the way of the future coming from WMC MediaBrowser.

Thank you!

Redshirt

I'm aware of the issues involved in navigating my client with a remote. The client was designed purely with touch use in mind. I have been working on a tv optimized layout, and am very happy with the results so far. I am not willing to commit to a release date yet though.

• 2 months later...
mini__me

Hi Redshirt,

Appreciate you are a very busy man doing some excellent work :)

I'm curious on any updates or progress you may have in this area, as I'm up in the air between running a Roku and an Android mini PC type thing, Live TV will be a big thing for me to run on the box so if that is also a possibility through this interface that would be good to know :)

Thanks again for all the hard work you guys do, it is very much appreciated! :)

Redshirt

Yes I will be including Live TV, but I'm not able to give a release date. So if you want it now, Roku would be the way to go. I don't have one, but I think they've got a fairly full-featured implementation.

• Like 2

mini__me

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! I am more concerned immediately with the interface and the control using an IR remote with simple directional controls rather than a mouse. There is time for Live TV glad to hear it is on the cards :)

• 3 weeks later...
pmac

I'm using a RikoMagic MK702 Airmouse/Remote/Keyboard, and it works awesome with the current Android App. I'd definitely check it out if you're still looking. I'm uploading pictures in a minute to a little review I did on the Android TV Box/Remote I purchased a little while ago.