Explanation of setting

nagetech

But that's what happens if we set a limit, isn't it? Each user can only use the limit we allocate.

Correct, but you are making that decision as the administrator of the server with full knowledge (now) of what it means.

I go back to the process I said before.  Only you, as the admin, know how you want this best handled and we have an easy way for you to handle it.  It only involves a tiny bit of minor math ;).

• Like 1

pir8radio

I like the way it is setup today, I hope it stays that way. A second option wouldn't hurt.. ;)       I have a 25 Mbps upstream.. I set my limit at 5 Mbps.  So mathematically I know I can get about 4 or 5 users streaming (to the internet) if they are all maxed at my 5 Mbps cap.   Without that cap, one user could select 20 Mpbs and now that barely leaves enough bandwidth for one more user...   I think Netflix maxes out their HD bit-rate at 5.8 Mbps or something like that now days (6 Mbps for their "SUPER HD" service lol)..  So 5 Mbps isn't a bad limit.   Prior to setting this at 5 Mbps I had many users calling me complaining of skipping/buffering video...  Come to find they changed their bit-rate, and thought "Oh wow 60 mbps will make it look better" when they only had a DSL connection...... 

Granted there are some variables here, like, are the movies encoded less than 5Mbps like some SD movies that are encoded at 4.4 Mbps?  In that scenario the cap doesn't even come into play, users can direct play those....   Live TV is often around 3.2 Mbps or less, not hitting the cap there either.  so depending on what users are watching I can have more than 5 users streaming..  The 5 Mbps limit just keeps things sane...

My 2 cents...   ^_^

Edited by pir8radio

horstepipe

is there a way to exclude local watching users from this limit? They don't require (upload) bandwidth so why should they be limited..?

Guest asrequested

The limit only applies to remote users. It shouldn't affect users in your LAN

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

is there a way to exclude local watching users from this limit? They don't require (upload) bandwidth so why should they be limited..?

The limit should only apply to "Internet streaming".

• Like 1

horstepipe

The limit only applies to remote users. It shouldn't affect users in your LAN

The limit should only apply to "Internet streaming".

thanks,

sorry, it's late here :-)

This is also written in the setting description

• Like 1

MSattler

Just get a bigger upstream pipe =)  

Thankful we have FIOS where I am, so the 150Mbps upstream helps a ton.  I set mine for 35Mbps, so in theory I could have 4 <external> people on.  Realistically, I rarely ever see more than 3-4 people on at a time, usually at most 3 externals at a time.  And with that, those family members do not all have FIOS.  Typically most of the connections are 5-10Mbps, I have my kids at my ex's house where they will sometimes direct stream a BR movie, but that's rare.

Waiting for the day, if ever, where Emby can adapt the stream quality during playback depending on client connectivity, much like Netflix does it =)