Question regarding Hardware Acceleration

shorty1483
Go to solution Solved by RanmaCanada,

shorty1483

Since my Mediaserver with emby is build upon my old HTPC, I still have a AMD Radeon HD 5450 ( https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b1730/xfx-one-hd-5450-plus-edition ) in it beside my Intel Core2Quad Q9450.

I read through the ffmpeg Wiki and here in forum but cannot find an answer. Is there any way to get any kind of GPU HW acceleration to run on my Mediaserver?

Thanks for all helpful answers!

• Solution
RanmaCanada

Because of how old your system is the only option is Nvidia.  It will limit you to 2 streams, unless you get a quadro.  What you should do, is upgrade to a core i3 so you can use quicksync instead.

• Like 1

shorty1483

I read about -hwaccel dxva2 and tried it out in ffmpeg, but that does not seem to get a real benefit in live transcoding, when I used a copied Emby server ffmpeg command with it. I don't need hundreds of fps during transcoding, I just recognized that using dxva2 produces a stable x2 speed without using CPU resources. Is this something that could make sense or am I on the wrong track @@Luke ?

Edited by shorty1483

• 3 weeks later...
Maximus Naxsus

I'm busy with the same questions. More control and feedback from the Emby server it's self would be very useful.

My server has multiple GPU's with different purposes. However, they should all be able to hardware de/en -code at least parts of my media collection.
​Questions as; which GPU is active and when was it active for what purpose would be lovely to answer in some way, regarding Emby server.

Also, in the situation summarized by user shorty1483; theoretical it should be use full to have 2 HD5450 GPU's to support multiple streams. But is it in reality even feasible?

Last but not least; Is DirectX 12 going to change anything here? DX12 should be able to combine different GPU's (engines) and divide any load necessary.

I’m very interested in these hardware related problems, one of the possibilities here is to gain a real understanding of Emby power consumption <> CPU/GPU load.