Search by actor?

JustEric78

JustEric78

I noticed that the search shows Titles but it cannot be changed to actor. I am looking for a way within Media Player Classic to search by an actors name and see everything in my collection that they are in. I can do it on the web interface fairly easily. Can someone enlighten me to a way to do this within MCE? 

Logos302

The way I do it while not the most fastest is.  I find I moved that the actor is in, goto the actors screen and then select the actor, which then gives all the movies with the actor.  But expect that what you want is movies by actor option similar to movies by genre.  

JustEric78

Yea, I know you can do it as you described. Was just hoping for a search that I could type an actor's name into. I don't need a separate category as I don't use it often just want the option. 

Logos302

I could be wrong but I think with MBC the only way for this to work would be with a Movies by actor section, possible a theme might do it as well but I'm not sure.  But @@ebr would have to answer that to be sure.  

JustEric78

Unfortunately index by actor is not an option. In the past with MB2 I would add the library a second time and then index that library by actor and call it Movies by Actor. In MB3 I cannot put the same UNC path twice so I have the choice of either having a general movies folder in alpha order or by actor and cannot do both. I would rather have alpha order if I had to choose one I suppose. Let me know if I am confused here please...

• 2 weeks later...
JustEric78

For anyone curious I created a separate Movies by Actor folder and gave it a symbolic link to my main movie library so that I could add it a second time with the same path then indexed that library by actor. I tried indexing on the fly and with 40000 actors it goes slow and does not make for a smooth process when trying to look it up on the fly. Stinks there isn't a built in function for this like on the browser version. Love what you guys are doing though!