Themes handling of getting back to NPV

Deihmos

Deihmos

Every theme handles npv in a different way. Most of the current themes have an icon to get back to the now playing view which I am not a fan of. Throgsoft themes have a really clever way to getting back to npv and I am wondering why other themes do not use the same method? Why use an icon if it can be done the same way ?

One reason why I don't want to move from throgs themes is the superior handling of npv.

Edited by Deihmos

What was the clever way?

But the reason to use an icon is because it is immediately obvious that it is there.  Sometimes "clever" = hidden and hard to find.

Deihmos

It is hard to explain how throg does it. All I do is press directional button and I am back to NPV which is also the backdrop . There is no icon to press.  it is so much faster than having to press an icon.

Yeah, but there is no way to know how to do it either.  So much so that you can't even explain it ;).

Those types of features are a big no-no in UI design.  They are called undiscoverable and very much not encouraged.  But, that doesn't mean someone can't implement them :).

Starkadius

What was the clever way?

But the reason to use an icon is because it is immediately obvious that it is there.  Sometimes "clever" = hidden and hard to find.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I find this interesting. Kind of how I've suggested having an OSD button somewhere in MBT. Not sure if that would be possible in MBC. I guess no one agreed with my suggestion though :(

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I find this interesting. Kind of how I've suggested having an OSD button somewhere in MBT. Not sure if that would be possible in MBC. I guess no one agreed with my suggestion though :(

There has to be an exception to this while video is actually playing.  No one wants an icon over the video.  Where would you put such a button?

Deihmos

I find it a pain to get to the corner to press that little icon. It would have been so much easier if I could program a remote button to get back to what is playing but that isn't possible. Even a NPV box is easier than the little icon but most themes do not use it. I am currently trying in chocolate that has an option for the now playing box but it only works in detailed view.

Latchmor

Hi, thinking out loud here and I could be way off but...

Could MBC watch for the Play button being pressed again to take you back to NPV?

By the way I don't mind using the icon in chocolate, just throwing an idea out for you and I realise that this would be a 'hidden' feature and not obvious.

Cheers

Edit: Forget that, it would only work in certain places and most of the time would just play whatever you were browsing through,lol   :wacko:

Edited by Latchmor

Starkadius

In my post I describe putting the OSD button in the "Now Playing Screen" as the remote is pressed, mouse moved or keyboard pressed so it is hidden at all times until invoked.

In my post I describe putting the OSD button in the "Now Playing Screen" as the remote is pressed, mouse moved or keyboard pressed so it is hidden at all times until invoked.

Don't take a lack of response to your suggestion that it was deemed a bad idea.  That sounds very reasonable and will probably happen in some form at some point.