Metadata Storage Media Folder vs OS Drive

TolkienBard
Go to solution Solved by Deathsquirrel,

TolkienBard

I just recently suffered a server failure. It is beginning to look like replacing may wind up being nearly as cost effective as repairing. While I am at it, I decided to install a SSD for the OS to boost performance and to cut down on noise/heat/mechanical failure. My question is, will my server responsiveness benefit if I migrate all my metadata to the SSD as well? 

Currently I am just running with the default of storing metadata in the various media folders. That just seems to make the most logical sense to me. However, I do have roughly 50 TB of media, creating a rather large number of metadata entries, all stored away across 16 mechanical drives. I can only imagine that some of the sluggishness I sometimes encounter is due in part to the fact that the metadata takes time to retrieve.

Am I better off migrating my metadata? Or am I asking for more potential headaches? If I do wind up getting a new system, the processor clock speed will be significantly higher, and the OS will be on a SSD, so I imagine that alone will help with some of the performance.

• Solution
Deathsquirrel

If the OS drive is the SSD the Emby cache is going to default to living there too.  You don't need any special config for that.  Storing the metadata in the media folders helps rebuild that cache but for day to day emby tasks the cache is what's used by the server.

It's the same config I use and it greatly boosted responsiveness over a platter-based drive for Emby.

• Like 2

TolkienBard

Thanks. I'll go ahead and leave the server configuration as-is and just let get the performance boost from the cache being on the SSD.

That's one down, now I just need to figure out what to do about my current machine and whether or not to attempt to repair or to replace.