Possible bug: Emby Theatre freezes video stream at certain subtitle frames

yinleifu

yinleifu

I have researched a very strange behavior that I only see in Emby Theatre, no other player fails in the same way, not Emby in Chrome (same server as used with ET), not VLC on the file itself, not PowerDVD. The issue is repeatable and I know how to fix it (by removing the offending subtitle frames from the subtitle track (a tedious process but it can be done). 

The frame that makes ET freeze the video (sound continues) is a "forced frame" with no "Alpha".  If I disable subtitles during the time when the frame should be displayed everything progress just fine and I can then re-enable the subtitles without the video freezing. BTW, the behavior is the same regardless of whether I use VOB files, MKV or transcoded MKVs (running the original MKV through Handbrake first). Even if it sounds strange at first that the video would freeze up because of the subtitles I am very convinced that this is the issue, and it's a particular type of subtitle frame since I have been able to pinpoint it to two particular frames that are of the same type at least when it comes to "forced" and "Alpha". I am not saying that the problem is because the frames are forced and with no Alpha, but it's these two aspects that I have been able to identify making them different. Another thing common for both the offending frames were that they didn't contain any text. Actually, there were two subtitle tracks on the DVD for the same language and they were identical except for these two offending subtitle frames. On one track both frames were empty and in the other track they contained a small very "pixely" icon. Both tracks caused the same video freeze, though.

The two frames were number one and number 985. Same behavior at both places, video freezes unless subs are turned off just before the frame occurs.

I have attached an extract from the server log:

Video is started at 16:28:00. The video track freeze up at around 16:28:10. ET player is stopped a bit later (maybe 20 seconds or so).

I tried to attach the SUB/IDX files but that's is apparently not possible.

I am using Emby Server 3.1.103.0 (but issue has occurred in previous versions also, for a month or two at least)

I am using Emby Theatre 2.5.7.

Video Freeze Server Log.txt

Please let me know if there is anything else I could provide.

/Michael

yinleifu

It only happens with EVR+ as renderer (and in Auto, but that's probably selecting EVR+). I also tried enabling and disabling hardware acceleration (QuickSync) but that didn't change anything. I have also tried on two different PCs. One which is hosting the server and one that is not. The behavior is the same in both cases. I have only tried with one and the same server, though. The only difference in behavior between the two PCs is that on one the video freezes and on the other the player aborts completely (at the same point).

I am now using ET 2.5.8. I guess it was updated the last couple of days (problem remains, though).

/Michael

Edited by yinleifu

yinleifu

I have sent a link directly to you. Please let me know if it works or not.

It's an MKV with the video track compressed a lot, almost not viewable. The problem remains and seems directly related to the subtitle track. The problem follwos the subtitle track also if I extract it and place it in another MKV. 

babgvant

I have sent a link directly to you. Please let me know if it works or not.

It's an MKV with the video track compressed a lot, almost not viewable. The problem remains and seems directly related to the subtitle track. The problem follwos the subtitle track also if I extract it and place it in another MKV. 

Try this version of the presenter (replace the version in COMObjects\babgvant).

EVRPresenter.zip

Edited by babgvant

yinleifu

That seems to have fixed it. Both places where I had the problems now play perfectly. Any chance you can hint at what the problem was? 

BTW, thanx for the help.

/Michael

babgvant

The position offset top was calculating to a negative value. To maintain the functionality, I changed it to use the abs of that number instead of the raw negative number.

yinleifu

Thanks, I guess the fix will be present in the next release of ET. I still cannot understand what the purpose of those strange sup-picture frames were. The first one seemed to consist of some sort of picture of a rifle aiming sight, but it doesn't actually show in any of the players I use, The second one was apparently empty. Strange, but now it's solved. Have a nice weekend.

/Michael