How to tell if live tv is transcoding?

heerssimpson

heerssimpson

I have an hdhomerun connect, server on my pc and ethernet connected roku 4. Using free trial of schedules direct. Previously had WMC with serverwmc, which worked great. Confirmed the current setup in the hdhomerun view works great.

Current set up has problems. While streaming live tv it will suddenly stop working. Every time I start a live or recorded show, it will stutter a few seconds in. Sometimes it will then play fine, while other times it gets fuzzy and stutters. Sometimes it struggles to keep up and lags. 

What would cause these issues? I suspect Emby is actually transcoding, but how can I tell? I will upload my log in a bit.

heerssimpson

Thanks for the replies. I have updated the hdhomerun software a couple days ago using that link. Here is what I see in the dashboard, so I am transcoding: 

post-41666-0-62756000-1470805948_thumb.png

What steps do I take to achieve a direct stream and prevent these issues?

In your situation, your source live tv has mpeg2 video. Roku does not support that which means that it needs to be converted.

If you purchase the HD Homerun Extend, it has the ability to do the converting on the tuner device and Emby knows how to take advantage of that. Please note, even in that situation it still needs to be converted, but it's just shifting the responsibility from the server machine to the tuner device.

Outside of that your only other option would be to play from a difference device that can support the live tv feed directly, such as Emby Theater on a Windows PC.

Guest asrequested

I notice you say a recorded show would stutter. Can you confirm the recording is correct, or did it record stuttering? Can you play the recording with something else and see if it plays well?

heerssimpson

In your situation, your source live tv has mpeg2 video. Roku does not support that which means that it needs to be converted.

If you purchase the HD Homerun Extend, it has the ability to do the converting on the tuner device and Emby knows how to take advantage of that. Please note, even in that situation it still needs to be converted, but it's just shifting the responsibility from the server machine to the tuner device.

Outside of that your only other option would be to play from a difference device that can support the live tv feed directly, such as Emby Theater on a Windows PC.

That is disappointing. Would the extend do a better job of transcoding than an i5 Surface Pro 2? I doubt it.

What clients support direct mpeg2 video besides Emby Theater? Would Fire TV work?

Well what the extend would do is take the burden off of Emby Server to reduce the workload on the server machine. If that's something that would be desirable to you then it's worth considering.

the mobile android app supports live tv directly. yes the fire tv app does support it as well, but the fire tv devices are a bit underpowered so make sure to get the latest ones.

heerssimpson

Well what the extend would do is take the burden off of Emby Server to reduce the workload on the server machine. If that's something that would be desirable to you then it's worth considering.

the mobile android app supports live tv directly. yes the fire tv app does support it as well, but the fire tv devices are a bit underpowered so make sure to get the latest ones.

Is the Roku missing hardware, or is it a software issue? I have noticed the Emby app on the Roku leaves much to be desired...

The Roku hardware does not support mpeg2. If in the future Roku adds it, you can be sure we'll take advantage of it.