TrueHD

essjay

essjay

Hi guys,

Any suggestions on why movies with TrueHD tracks won't play (Atmos etc)?

Just getting ET set up on a VM and seems to be running OK apart from movies with TrueHD audio. When I select the play button the spinning graphic just keeps going. Other movies, DTS-MA etc, the movie starts within a few seconds. I thought it might be the video renderer but that makes no difference. madVR stutters but that's more than likely because I don't have it configured correctly or a decent GPU on that VM.

Main concern now is the TrueHD tracks. 

Also while I'm here. I have ET configured to start-up when the VM/Windows starts. Maybe 30% of the time I just get a black screen rather than the ET UI.

Edited by essjay

I would check your audio configuration. As for startup, the app currently requires an internet connection, so if you run at startup and the connection isn't ready yet, then that could explain that.

Guest asrequested

I run all audio formats. I have a 7.1.2 Atmos configuration. I'm assuming your AVR is Atmos compatible, so you need to configure your settings like this. Bitstreaming being the most important.

57a77bafbf198_Snapshot_202.jpg

essjay

Yep have it set like that. I'm using an Marantz 7702 processor so it's Atmos enabled. Speaker wise I have 7.2.4. I would have thought the media would have tried playing but nothing. Just keeps spinning.

Edited by essjay

essjay

I would check your audio configuration. As for startup, the app currently requires an internet connection, so if you run at startup and the connection isn't ready yet, then that could explain that.

Any idea is it possible to use a scheduled task to maybe start ET after a 30 second delay?

Guest asrequested

Does this happen with all Atmos movies? I see you've tried DTS-MA, does that mean you've tried dts-X 7.1? And that played ok?

essjay

The AVP is the MK1 of the 7702 so no DTS-X. I have a few DTS-MA movies and they played fine. 

I have both my Amazon FireTV and HTPC plugged into the TV here and the FTV (Emby app) plays the movie OK (but uses the Dolby Digital audio track) so I know it's not a fault with the movie file itself.

essjay

I'm just wondering could this be my issue. Although I'm bitstreaming the HTPC VM doesn't seem to recognise a lot of the audio formats the AVP can support.

EmbyAudio.jpg

Guest asrequested

The AVP is the MK1 of the 7702 so no DTS-X. I have a few DTS-MA movies and they played fine. 

I have both my Amazon FireTV and HTPC plugged into the TV here and the FTV (Emby app) plays the movie OK (but uses the Dolby Digital audio track) so I know it's not a fault with the movie file itself.

Yeah, the server will transcode to the FTV, that's why it plays. Everything is pointing to unsupported format, but your AVR definitely supports Atmos. What does the dashboard report when you try to play it?

essjay

Yeah, the server will transcode to the FTV, that's why it plays. Everything is pointing to unsupported format, but your AVR definitely supports Atmos. What does the dashboard report when you try to play it?

Absolutely nothing. No message comes up that I've started playing a movie.

Guest asrequested

Absolutely nothing. No message comes up that I've started playing a movie.

That's curious. I believe the dashboard should show something. Is this a disc rip, MKV, MP4, H.264?

essjay

That's curious. I believe the dashboard should show something. Is this a disc rip, MKV, MP4, H.264?

Yes rip of the disk (trying with John Wick mainly but other TrueHD movies failing also). Think it's H.264.

I think I have some sort of HDMI issue here. Just plugged in a Dr.HDMI which tells the HTPC that all audio and video formats are playable. Again the audio playback device is still only detecting DTS, DTS-HD and DD as in the image above.

I suspect I have some sort of VM or hardware passthrough issue here on the GT 730.

Guest asrequested

Yes rip of the disk (trying with John Wick mainly but other TrueHD movies failing also). Think it's H.264.

I think I have some sort of HDMI issue here. Just plugged in a Dr.HDMI which tells the HTPC that all audio and video formats are playable. Again the audio playback device is still only detecting DTS, DTS-HD and DD as in the image above.

I suspect I have some sort of VM or hardware passthrough issue here on the GT 730.

It could be. HDMI is the only way to bitstream that many channels. Try changing the cable.

essjay

Thanks. Must be the Encoded Formats that are not getting picked up. Either a EDID issue (which the Dr. HDMI should have overridden) or a VM/driver issue

essjay

Great, thanks. Are you using an on-board motherboard HDMI or a discrete card?

For "Controller Information" mine is showing a Microsoft audio device and I'm not sure is that correct.

Guest asrequested

Great, thanks. Are you using an on-board motherboard HDMI or a discrete card?

For "Controller Information" mine is showing a Microsoft audio device and I'm not sure is that correct.

I have an i7 6700k, so the GPU is on that. An Intel GPU which utilizes the HDMI port on the motherboard

Edited by Doofus

mentasm

Any idea is it possible to use a scheduled task to maybe start ET after a 30 second delay?

I use a powershell script which I just put a shortcut to in my startup folder.  Simply waits 30 seconds then launches ET

essjay

I use a powershell script which I just put a shortcut to in my startup folder.  Simply waits 30 seconds then launches ET

Never thought of PS, thanks. I did get it working with a scheduled task. It now opens ET 30 seconds after automatic login.

essjay

I have an i7 6700k, so the GPU is on that. An Intel GPU which utilizes the HDMI port on the motherboard

Thanks, that makes sense then. 

essjay

A simple reinstall of the Nvidia drivers with the Marantz connected fixed my issue...... Thanks for all the help guys