Changing Information Cumbersome (web interface)

famadorian

famadorian

Changing information is so cumbersome to do. 

Why, after you've entered the entity, you have to click the menu and then "change information"

Can't these fields be available on the entity itself?

If you could also play the media in the little window, you could change information as you watch it. 

It doesn't lend itself to actively add information about the media. 

You open a context menu -> edit. You can do that from pretty much anywhere in the UI.

famadorian

Right, but I was thinking all of this information could be available on the same page, so that you could just edit it there and didn't have to explicitly go into menu->edit.

bfir3

Yea I think in-place edits would be nice too, certainly.

I didn't realize what he meant at first, but that's actually a pretty nice idea.

Well right now we can at least reduce by one click via a pencil icon directly on the screen, then maybe later do some in place editing features.

• Like 1

willo123

In place editing is certainly desirable for some scenarios. However, if Emby wants to "Iend itself to actively add information about the media" I see at least the following areas needs to be changed:

a) Metadata editor needs to have proper support for mass editing. This is is not so important for the type of media you are not supposed to tag manually but is absolutely imperative to any media for which you need to enter the data manually (such as sports, lot of music videos, home videos). Virtually all music taggers (such as Tag & Rename) and  Pro/am photo collection managenrs (such as Lightroom) are order of magnitude, or ten, ahead of Emby (or any other home theater type of application)

B) For the same type of applications, reading AND writing tag information (and I mean all, not just a small fraction as is currently the case) is almost as important. Since different cames and apps may handle tags differently, this would have to be accompanied with tag mapping so that media file tags could be mapped to fields shown by Emby

c) in order to improve data in source databases, user should be able to synchronize changes to data source (such as The Movie Database). Not sure whether  they have apis for such use. 

Edited by willo123
  • Like 1