Win10A App stuttered playback

Crestj

Crestj

I appear to be getting stuttered playback within this app.

If I play the same videos on the same PC via MPC-HC they are fine but through the app it appears to stutter every few seconds.

Anyone else having playback issues?

Nequit

Me too. Don't know why, because sometimes videos (720P, H.264) play fine, and sometimes they don't.

Specs: Core M-5y10c, HD 5300, 4 Gb ram, Windows 10 Anniversary Update x64 PL.

Edited by Nequit

7illusions

I got an idea of what's wrong and I'm working on a fix.

Stay tuned for details

• Like 1

Nequit

That's good to hear.

Apart from a few playback issues, I really like the new app. It looks great and it's lightweight (there is night and day difference when compared to Emby Theater running on same hardware).

• Like 1

FrostByte

On my system it seems to stutter for ~15 seconds on movies and episode and then everthing is fine after that.  Funny how I streamed an episode from Vicpa's server just the other day and didn't notice it though

7illusions

When it starts to stutter, if you pause for 5secs and the resumes, is the issue still there"

(Trying to figure out what causes the issue..)

Crestj

Pausing for 5 seconds doesn't effect playback. I also thought it might be a buffering type issue.

It appears throughout the videos I've tried.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Edited by Crestj

FrostByte

Pausing doesn't seem to help for me either.  Right at about 15 - 18 seconds though everything's fine

7illusions

Is it all filetypes, or certain ones with a specific container, codec, resolution?

Crestj

All mine are mp4s or MKVs with various resolutions

FrostByte

My files are all mkv x264 files with either DTS or AC3 sound.  I just noticed it's only the AC3 files on my system which stutter.  The DTS ones are remuxed and don't seem to stutter at the begginning

Edited by FrostByte

Nequit

Can you check if the files also stutter in the Movies & TV app?

AFAIK Emby-UWP and Movies & TV have a lot in common, especially the playback engine. The issue might be unfixable by the developer without some heavy remodeling, like switching to libVLC, or waiting for the Microsoft to fix it.

Edited by Nequit

Crestj

Just tried and it plays fine with Films and TV

Crestj

Just completed some in depth testing and it appears that by bad luck all the videos I was using to test had this issue but when paused for about 20 seconds they all played ok.

Not sure why there is a stutter in the first place but at least I can view them. (unless I'm offline)

• 4 weeks later...

Having the same problem all mxv it started with the app update had no problem before that. Some times it locks up and will not cont. I have to close emby and restart then it plays ok for a little while

I'm having this one too.

Also, i'm trying to understand if the fact that it is copying the entire video to a local storage cache causes this issue? Isn't it possible to directly read of the share? (in this case, the server and app are on the same machine, and it is copying the video from my HDD to my SSD)

• 2 weeks later...
arrbee99

Had a quick play with Ember for Emby. Audio seems to get out of sync. Am not sure if this stutter thing - maybe the occasional pause in video but the audio carries on, so the audio is ahead of the video. Seems to be OK in normal web browser window. Have only viewed one video though. On Win 10 Anniversary (as I suppose it would be), media on same machine as server and also watching on same machine.

57dccf127aa6a_Emberplayback1.jpg

1080p 60Mbps

On the laptop it starts off with the same stutter. Then i pause it for 5 seconds and it cures it.

With the Mobile the pause does not cure it.

7illusions

And what's the quality of the Movie? Wonder if it's just a framerate that your device can't handle.

I got stutter sometimes when switching on .ass subtitles, even on local 720p videos.

I have a Core i5 with Maxwell video-card, so I think my hardware can handle the playback.