Play from HTTP instead of SMB

shorty1483
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

shorty1483

Now that my FireTV 4K is set up with Kodi and the Emby Addon also as replacement for the Fire TV stick, I'm struggeling with some questions even with reading the Wiki and using the search in the forum.

1. I've set the Playback Mode to Addon in Sync options because I want to use things like progress and the possibility to transcode files etc . Play from HTTP instead of SMB is set to off. I'm still not really understanding what this setting does. Does HTTP mean to use the server just to pack the e.g. mkv into a streamable format like with the Samsung App? And SMB is direct playing using SMB shares? (if so, for what is the sync setting Playback Mode Addon/Native). What setting is preferable?

With the current setting I'm direct playing I guess? I ask because I started a few movies and 2 of them got a playback error. 1 Min later they worked.

2. What is the better solution for theme music, direct play or direct streaming?

3. Last question, Play from HTTP instead of SMB is set to off by default. if I enable it, do I need to do a library reset to resync the whole library?

Thanks for this great plugin again guys and lady!

Edited by shorty1483

• Solution
Angelblue05

How can we clarify the wiki? https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Emby-for-kodi-settings#sync-options

1. The difference between the two playback modes is with add-on playback, the add-on is able to control what happens before playback (it's able to return any path and tell Kodi to play the file). With the HTTP settings, It will play your content via HTTP from your server. It does no modify the file, it just makes it accessible this way. If you leave the video quality as default, your content will direct play from HTTP. If you decrease the quality, it will transcode instead .

If you use native mode, Kodi will fully control what is being played. So you understand why you can only direct play. Selecting native mode will give you maximum compatibility with every Kodi features/add-ons, but you will lose any emby playback features, such as transcode and emby cinema mode.

There's no better choice, both playback mode will allow you to direct play your content. It's really what is important to you, your setup. If you use add-ons that need to see the location of your content in database, then native mode will allow them to work. Using add-on mode can be a bit quirky because we "mask" the paths. But if you only care for emby features and are using Kodi as a simple player, add-on mode will be the better choice.

2. Direct play will always be better because it doesn't involve querying your server for it. Direct stream (which is the same as direct play except in the way the file is accessed via HTTP) is available for people who want theme music outside the server's network.

3. No. If you are using add-on playback mode, there's no need to reset the library.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

shorty1483

@@Angelblue05

Thanks for clarifying that.

I think I'll stick with Addon and HTTP. Works great so far and everything is direct playing.  :D

But multiple Profiles take a lot of space on internal storage I recognized :D The last thing to solve here, after that I'm a happy camper...

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

shorty1483

The only thing I can suggest is to move your artwork cache (this is what will take the most space) to a different location using advancedsettings.xml: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Reduce_disk_space_usage#Move_cached_images_to_another_drive

Moved whole .spmc data folder to SD using xbmc_env.properties.

Fast SD, SPMC runs like butter (at least not slower than before [emoji16] )

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

• Like 1