Emby remote screen wake up display

pillow

pillow

Hi guys,

Having a bit of difficulty with the remote control aspect of the app and controlling kodi. I like to set my display to sleep quite quickly as I use emby for music. However I cannot get the screen to wake up using the 'remote control' part of the Android app. Using the arrow shortcuts or any of the navigational buttons doesn't wake up the display pausing something already playing will. Obviously if nothing is playing I have no way to wake the screen. Using the kodi 'kore' remote and the navigation on that will wake the screen but I'd rather just keep the emby android app installed. Any guidance?

Hi, welcome. I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. so you want to control another app using the android app, but you want the android screen to stay awake?

pillow

Apologies let me clear it up.

I have a windows running htpc running kodi with the Emby addon.

The htpc is set to turn the display off after being idle for a period of time. The htpc itself remains switched on.

Using the Android app as a remote control to control kodi does not wake up the display when you use the navigational options in the Android app (or pressing the home or back keys in the app). An issue with this is when browsing around kodi the display will automatically sleep after the predefined period elapsed.

Using the kore remote however will wake the display and keep it awake when navigating around. I would rather just use the Emby app to control the htpc.

Angelblue05

Why not use the built in Kodi black screensaver instead of turning display off on the htpc itself, which would respond to Kodi actions.

Seems Kore sends a wake on lan packet to wake up the device, we don't have anything implemented like that, but wouldn't the add-on Advanced Wake On Lan in the Kodi repo do the job? Let me know, thanks.

Edited by Angelblue05

pillow

Well if I'm not watching or doing anything I want my television to go into standby and this is the only way to automate that. If I use the black screensaver option surely the television remains on?

I'm not sure what wake-on-lan has to do with this though? As I said the htpc is always on.

What I'm asking is that the remote control commands do not seem to count as input as far as windows power plans are concerned whereas the remote inputs from kore are treated as inputs and keep the display awake. Perhaps kore is using keyboard inputs for these controls?

Why not use the built in Kodi black screensaver instead of turning display off on the htpc itself, which would respond to Kodi actions.

Seems Kore sends a wake on lan packet to wake up the device, we don't have anything implemented like that, but wouldn't the add-on Advanced Wake On Lan in the Kodi repo do the job? Let me know, thanks.

Ok i thought he was saying the kodi device was still awake but the display was off. 

Angelblue05

I have looked previously because device would go to sleep during the initial sync and couldn't find a way to keep the device awake with navigation and such. Kore does seem to use a ping to keep communicating with Kodi. I'll let you know if I can figure something out.

Edited by Angelblue05

I have looked previously because device would go to sleep during the initial sync and couldn't find a way to keep the device awake with navigation and such. Kore does seem to use a ping to keep communicating with Kodi. I'll let you know if I can figure something out.

I might be misunderstanding, but it sounds like he's able to successfully control, albeit with the screen off.

Angelblue05

Hmm... Ok, well then I'll have to search for a solution because we use built-in Kodi actions to navigate... There's nothing else to it. Maybe using jsonrpc would wake up the display? I don't know, but I'll test.

Edited by Angelblue05

pillow

Luke you are correct - navigation still works but the display remains off.

Easy way to test - change windows power plan to switch off display after 1 minute of inactivity, then go to kodi and use the Emby remote on an android device to navigate the interface. The display will time out regardless of you navigating the interface. The only way to wake it from the remote is to either start playing something or to switch over to kore to navigate which seems to keep it from switching off the display signal.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Angelblue05

No problem, just let me know it works correctly now. It should work to wake up the display with navigation and the home button.

Edited by Angelblue05

• 1 year later...

The latest android mobile beta 2.9.90 has Wake On Lan added to the server selection screen. Just click on a server and tape "Wake Server".

This requires Emby Server 3.3+. Please try it out and leave your feedback. Thanks !