hebrew character set

hananr

hananr

Hi

I've added some music files with hebrew file names to my freenas server

when viewing the files with emby (both android and web) the file names are displayed in "jiberish", it is as though they are not in the correct charset / code-page....

I am viewing them using the folder tab under the music collection

help would be appreciated

Hanan

Hi, welcome. Can you give an example? Actually since it's a music file it should be pretty small. If you can provide a sample file for testing that would be great. Thanks!

hananr

Hi

curiously even file names with English characters in the same directory are presented in the wrong character set.

I have to add that the files were in a rar archive

and when I access the directories on the server from windows file sharing, the files are presented OK

attached is a file and the way it is presented in emby's web page (the same happens in android)

08-Ahavtia.mp3

post-129330-0-80353600-1469652285_thumb.png

the jibberish is actually coming from ffprobe. your album artist tag is nice and readable but not the artist tag. i wonder if ffprobe has an option to specify the character set, in which case we're going to have to force you to tell us what it is.

hananr

I ran ffprobe in the emby server plugin, and also mediainfo on windows

both returned jibberish

attached is the output of mediainfo

as you must have guessed the track came from an old archive of song tracks and lyrics. the hebrew characters might be in "ancient" ASCII encoding (128, or 224 based for hebrew aleph). I'll try and find the correct encoding - how can I modify the metadata in an mp3 file?

additionally I noticed that a directory named: "דיסק 1" (hebrew for 'Disc 1') is displayed in jibberish (screen capture attached).

Naturally, the directory does not have metadata, but the audio files in the directory do have similar hebrew metadata

what do you suggest as the best course of action?

mediainfo.txt

post-129330-0-46077900-1469655516_thumb.png

hananr

recent update:

the charset is iso 8859-8

I found the following great app: Foobar2000 with the charset convertor plugin

it is able to identify and convert a full directory tree of music files

now windows utilities such as mediainfo, and players such as groove music display the hebrew meta data correctly

however emby still does not display the meta data correctly

it seems that ffprobe (both on my freenas server and on windows0 does not recognize the charset

are there special parameters that I can use when converting (foobar2000) so that ffprobe will work correctly?

if i had to guess, i think there are multiple copies of the data embedded for different versions of tags, and i'm guessing that what foobar updated is not what ffprobe is reading. just a guess. check if foobar has an option to update both idv2+3. that would be my guess.