Fixed: Random crashes on Ubuntu 16.04

shep

Resolution - Addendum:

Just got finished installing and configuring Zabbix. My server's been super-slow lately and I needed to figure out exactly why. What I found out was that I didn't have any swap space. At all. My server was crawling before, even doing a simple apt-get update, now it's flying!

Even emby is flying. Hopefully the crashes and exit code 137 will be a thing of the past, it sure has every reason to at this rate. I suspect ffprobe needs swap space, which it didn't have, and as a result was crashing. I was thinking the wrong kind of memory.

I used this as a reference to add some, which works flawlessly in Ubuntu 16.04:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-on-ubuntu-12-04

The only difference I made was to add 1 GB of swap space instead of 256MB of it. To do that, in the first step under the "Create and Enable the Swap File" header, change count=256k to count=1024k . That will give you an entire GB of space to utilize.

Will report back with updates, but your "it's environmental" statement was spot-on.

Hmm, now HTTPS is significantly slower than HTTP. On the home page, it takes 6 seconds under HTTP to see an image after hitting F5, but on HTTPS, it takes 20. Not sure what's going on.

server-63606089621.txt

And here's the output from nginx -T in case it's relevant:

nginx_config.txt

Not sure why it's taking that much longer. HTTPS shouldn't be that slow, should it?

I saw the "Restart server to apply updates" message, even though emby is fully up-to-date.

post-146420-0-62702000-1470497072_thumb.png

Clicked it, then the next page was this:

post-146420-0-29403300-1470497181_thumb.png

Relevant log file:

server-63606089621.txt

Usually the service dies and I can just restart it, but in this case, the service is still active and running. What's the fix?

Thanks for the report.

Does that mean I found a bug? Or is it something with my machine that caused that new screen to show?

Right now I don't see anything abnormal in your log. It's possible that the error page you saw was associated with the new server instance after restart, which is why it's not showing up the log you attached.

Right now I don't see anything abnormal in your log. It's possible that the error page you saw was associated with the new server instance after restart, which is why it's not showing up the log you attached.

Okay, restarted the service, back online. That was weird. I have still yet to get the Library Scan to move past 15%, no matter how long I let it sit (days even). Every other process works fine.

post-146420-0-48458000-1470513255_thumb.png

Monitoring the logs, all I see are errors for me not having a profile picture on my server. Nothing else is even unusual. Until I can get this scan to complete, I don't know if I'll have all my files available.

Do you by any chance know why my library scan never seems to complete? It seems odd that it'll jump from 0% to 15%, almost as if it remembers where it last left off, then stalls.

I would need to see a server log, thanks.

Any insight with the logs? It's at 15.1% now, which is as high as it goes.

No, it looks normal. I would just be patient and let it complete. We are working on making it faster for an upcoming release.

I think it was all a RAM issue. Figured out (thanks to the "top" command) that the swap was kicking in and taking up all the CPU with emby. This slowed emby down and also the hard drive calls. Just upgraded the server to 2GB of RAM and some other spec upgrades (t.micro to t.small on Amazon EC2). Will report back on how it works! I can't imagine why it wouldn't though.

Boom, that was it. Library scan now completes anywhere between 45 and 90 minutes with plenty of room to spare. Been having a blast reminiscing over old pics. Definitely worth the $5 a month!