Shield codec / transcode info

Brad303

Brad303

I've seen a number of screen grabs of Emby debug overlays that show codec info and what's being transcoded for the currently playing media item.

How do I get that on my Shield?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I'm getting AC3 on some TV eps, but not others. I've got HDMI and audio passthrough turned on.

If you turn on "Debug Options" in the settings, you can see the media info on the detail page.

Brad303

Yeah, I found that. So is the overlay something only available on a different client, or is that all I've been seeing?

If the codec info for program A and program B is identical, yet A plays and B doesn't, where do I look next?

I've got a Marantz SR5010 receiver, so it can handle all of the codecs natively. Whether it's reporting that it can is another matter.

CBers

If you turn on "Debug Options" in the settings, you can see the media info on the detail page.

OT: Could Media Info not just be there by default, in the same way as the web client?

Yeah, I found that. So is the overlay something only available on a different client, or is that all I've been seeing?

If the codec info for program A and program B is identical, yet A plays and B doesn't, where do I look next?

I've got a Marantz SR5010 receiver, so it can handle all of the codecs natively. Whether it's reporting that it can is another matter.

I don't know what overlay you are talking about...

Your receiver wouldn't have much to do with video codecs.  Those will be determined by the actual device.

OT: Could Media Info not just be there by default, in the same way as the web client?

To the average person just playing their content, it is not necessary information.

Brad303

I don't know what overlay you are talking about..

Your receiver wouldn't have much to do with video codecs.  Those will be determined by the actual device.

Sorry, I must not have been paying attention. I could have sworn I'd seen the media info page as an overlay over live video, but apparently it was my imagination.

And since my problem is with audio, I was referring to the audio codec. As far as I know, AC3 is AC3, right? I'll go double-check the media info, but I was comparing the two programs and couldn't find a difference.

Other than the lag at the start of playback and the ffmpeg running on my server, is there a way to tell on the client if transcoding is (or will be) going on?

CBers

is there a way to tell on the client if transcoding is (or will be) going on?

It will tell you in the OSD if it's transcoding or direct play - it will have Trans/I or Direct/V.

You will need to enable debug in the settings within the app.