Emby and Googlecast

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Recently purchased a new television with Google Cast built in. Good news is that Emby for iOS casts properly. However, there are no controls to pause, skip, fast forward, rewind, or scan the video on my iPhone's screen while it is casting. Is there something I must do make these visible? They should be visible immediately when casting starts. If you need an example, I have added a screenshot on how Hulu handles this.

CQzqZWi.png

In Emby for iOS, it continues to show the play button after you start playing. Pressing it allows me to "resume" or "play" the video that is already playing. There is no pause or stop.

Finally, when I disconnect Emby from Googlecast, it doesn't go back to the television's screensaver. It shows the Emby logo and says "Ready to Cast - Select your in Emby and play it here". To clear this, you either need to turn the television off and back on or open a different app to cast from and then disconnect it. Both inconveniences. Other apps (i.e.: Hulu, Netflix, Spotify) go to the television's screensaver when they are disconnected.

I should be at the latest version available as there is no update available in the App Store. I am using iOS 9.3.2 currently.

Ok, on the Iphone, with the smaller screen, we don't use the now playing bar docked at the bottom. Instead you have to click the now playing tab. This was done to save screen real estate. On larger screens such as the ipad, you get the now playing bar that allows you to control immediately.

What is your feedback here? Should we drop the tab and just use the now playing bar model?

Koleckai Silvestri

It should automatically show the controls when you're playing a video and casting. Hiding critical controls under a tab is bad design. You could even set it up so that when you start playing, it just switches to the Now Playing screen. Though that screen still seems overly complicated compared to modern media controls such as the ones shown in the Hulu screenshot above.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Spotify, Netflix and HBO hide most of the controls in a drawer at the bottom of the screen. But they show Pause on the screen at all times while an item is playing. Need more controls, you can expose them. Then you wouldn't need "Now Playing" at all.

Can provide screenshots.

Spotify, Netflix and HBO hide most of the controls in a drawer at the bottom of the screen. But they show Pause on the screen at all times while an item is playing. Need more controls, you can expose them. Then you wouldn't need "Now Playing" at all.

Can provide screenshots.

Do they also have bottom tabs? That is basically what we do for iPAD, but i'm just wondering how that will affect experience on the small screen, when you have both now playing + tabs docked at the bottom.

Koleckai Silvestri

Can't say one way or another. It is tap, find media, tap, play. Even in Emby. Didn't even notice the "Now Playing" tab at the bottom until you mentioned it. Haven't used any of those controls in the past. Tap, Tap, Play. That is it. Might use search in the future if it ever works.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
LHoust

While Casting from my iPod Touch (iOS 10.3.2) with the Emby App (1.39) to my Chromecast V2 (1.25.903.8).

Although Controls there are available when I Press on the Icon in the bottom right corner for the screen (see Image), the Fast Forward and Rewind Buttons are non-functional???

5966e029b7831_IMG_1015.png

Edited by LHoust

While Casting from my iPod Touch (iOS 10.3.2) with the Emby App (1.39) to my Chromecast V2 (1.25.903.8).

Although Controls there are available when I Press on the Icon in the bottom right corner for the screen (see Attachment), the Fast Forward and Rewind Buttons are non-functional???

attachicon.gifIMG_1015.PNG

Those are actually next/previous track, not fast forward/rewind. So if you've only queued up one video then they will not do anything. I will take a look and update to just hide them in this situation. Are you having trouble with the seek bar? let us know, thanks !

LHoust

Those are actually next/previous track, not fast forward/rewind. So if you've only queued up one video then they will not do anything. I will take a look and update to just hide them in this situation. Are you having trouble with the seek bar? let us know, thanks !

Thanks for the clarification of those being Next/Previous Track Buttons and yes I only had one Video Queued.

Although the Seek Slider works, given the small size of my iPod Touch's Screen, I find it  "Challenging" to be very precise with my movements.  Fast Forward/Rewind Controls would be preferred!

Thanks for the clarification of those being Next/Previous Track Buttons and yes I only had one Video Queued.

Although the Seek Slider works, given the small size of my iPod Touch's Screen, I find it  "Challenging" to be very precise with my movements.  Fast Forward/Rewind Controls would be preferred!

If you rotate the device orientation to landscape, do you see additional buttons appear? I think we have rewind and fast-forward just hidden from smaller layouts. I will have to review that.

But as you can see, even with them hidden, there are still a lot of buttons which makes it look a bit cluttered. Perhaps we should just continue to improve the seek bar. Would making the seek thumb bigger help?

LHoust

If you rotate the device orientation to landscape, do you see additional buttons appear? I think we have rewind and fast-forward just hidden from smaller layouts. I will have to review that.

But as you can see, even with them hidden, there are still a lot of buttons which makes it look a bit cluttered. Perhaps we should just continue to improve the seek bar. Would making the seek thumb bigger help?

When in Landscape Mode, my iPod Touch displays no additional buttons.  Although Landscape Mode makes the Time Index easier to Control, when attempting fine adjustments, the Slider sometimes become unresponsive!

With my TV Setup I find selecting my Kodi STB as the Emby iOS App's Display is be preferred, since the Kodi STB has has a MCE Remote, providing more controls than will fit on an iPod Touch's smaller screen...

When playing Videos directly on the iPod Touche's Screen, there are Fast Forward/Rewind Buttons when in Landscape Mode (15 Secs and 5 Minutes)

Edited by LHoust

@@LHoust, does this occur even with the latest 1.4.0 release?