How to remove black borders?

Magnetron

Magnetron
I've been looking to move to the new Emby Theater, but is it possible to remove letter boxing/black bars on videos and if so how?

I appreciate some videos have been shot at cinema aspect ratios, but quite frankly I would rather maximize my viewing real estate.

I have tried the following in Emby Theater: 

Settings > Video Player > Configure Video Renderer > EVR but dont seem to be able to find EVR Setting to change the scaling mode to "Touch Inside" as per previous posts.

Tried adding VLC as an External Player, but the path never saves and doesn't seem to work.

Suggestions welcomed.

Magnetron

Hi Doofs, thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried MadVR on all 4 smooth motion mode settings, with no change to the video black bars.

I'm not sure if this is a limitation of Emby Theatre without a Premiere account, but every time I go back from the settings menu it appears MadVR doesnt save and stay enabled (highlighted green).

If you have this working, could you please confirm which "smooth motion mode" you have this working on?

Guest asrequested

Hi Doofs, thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried MadVR on all 4 smooth motion mode settings, with no change to the video black bars.

I'm not sure if this is a limitation of Emby Theatre without a Premiere account, but every time I go back from the settings menu it appears MadVR doesnt save and stay enabled (highlighted green).

If you have this working, could you please confirm which "smooth motion mode" you have this working on?

Those settings (smooth motion), aren't applicable to the aspect. You're able to use these settings?

578f09d92da4e_Snapshot_170.jpg

If yes, we need more information. Can you post a screen shot of what is occurring? Maybe share a sample of the file? @@Luke, are the settings dependent on the premiere subscription?

Edited by Doofus

No, the settings aren't. All you have to do is just back out of the page and they'll save.

Smitty018210

Sorry about the hijack here, but one of the main reason I haven't use theater very much is because I haven't figured out how to remove or "zoom" in to remove 4:3 ratio boxes the way WMC dose. I know you can use external video player but I would rather not. I've asked about this before and way told it was something that be worked on but I've not seen any setting to do this. Is there? Thanks.

Deathsquirrel

I've been looking to move to the new Emby Theater, but is it possible to remove letter boxing/black bars on videos and if so how?
I appreciate some videos have been shot at cinema aspect ratios, but quite frankly I would rather maximize my viewing real estate.
I have tried the following in Emby Theater: 
Settings > Video Player > Configure Video Renderer > EVR but dont seem to be able to find EVR Setting to change the scaling mode to "Touch Inside" as per previous posts.
Tried adding VLC as an External Player, but the path never saves and doesn't seem to work.
Suggestions welcomed.

Is your issue that you have a movie that is completely surrounded by black bars on all sides of the screen so that the movie is playing in a small rectangle in the center of your TV or are you talking about having bars only at the top/sides and wanting to stretch and distort that image to fill a monitor that's a different shape than the video?

If it's the former switching to MadVR from EVR may clear it.  If it's the latter...well Luke will probably say it's something they want to implement.  I'll say I'm sure there are counselors that can help you with that desire :)

Magnetron

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Black bars top and bottom (the later Deathsquirrel). 

Has anyone had any success with an external player such as VLC to work around this and get video stretch?

I've tried using VLC and parsing command lines but the program doesn't seem to start once content is selected via Emby.

If not then I guess I'm stuck with WMC until Luke works his magic.

• Like 1

AdrianW

I'll say I'm sure there are counselors that can help you with that desire :)

:D

• Like 1