FireTV - no video

arrbee99

The beta of the app the went out tonight has the most up-to-date libvlc there is so you can try that and see if it helps.

arrbee99

Have tried over the last several betas and still the same, tries but fails and gives up. If it used to work can't it be made to work again ?

These iPlayer files work fine on Kodi sideloaded on the exact same machine, so I can use that, but it would be nice if the Emby app could be made to work for this stuff, without  having to run it all through Handbrake or something.

arrbee99

On FireTV 2nd gen the FireTV app plays most stuff fine via gigabit ethernet from a PC (not a NAS), so bluray rips dvd rips, recordings via PlayOn all work but iPlayer files don't, the app says its trying to play and fails, then it tries again and fails, then says giving up, after too many tries (sorry, they're not the exact words) but you get the idea. typical file is this...

57c4de184bac8_EmbyFireTViPlayer1.jpg

I have just sent a log from the FireTV, 7 or 8 minutes ago, bit after 1pm NZ time, trying to play this file (again, works on Kodi on exact same device)

arrbee99

No idea - I guess I would need an Android phone to find out, I use Windows phone. Will have a go on one of the kids android phones when they're back from school, unless there's another way or someone else knows.

The issue is that VLC is producing a decoder error trying to play those items.  It is re-trying but it should be doing so in the Google player but it looks like it is trying VLC again instead which, of course, fails so it gives up.

If I could get a sample video so I can reproduce, then I should be able to figure out why the re-try logic isn't working properly.

Thanks I got that one.

Unfortunately, on the Google platform, the items play but with no video and no errors are thrown at all so there isn't much I'm going to be able to do about that.  On the Fire, an error is thrown but our internals are not handling it the same as they were before so I'm looking into that.

There is nothing obviously different about these items that we could key off of to try and treat them differently unfortunately.

I'm wondering if maybe this is a copy-protection scheme implemented by iPlayer...

arrbee99

Pity it does this. They play fine in vlc in windows, but like you say its Android / FireTV. Hopefully as looking into it for the FireTV you'll be able to work your magic........

(would have thought any copy protection would stop it playing on anything, but i'm hardly an expert)

arrbee99

.44 plays iPlayer stuff very nicely now, at the two different resolutions I linked too. Thanks very much. Excellent.

p.s. Have just tested with playing a few minutes of 3 shows, so if anything happens am sure I will pester you again....

.44 plays iPlayer stuff very nicely now, at the two different resolutions I linked too. Thanks very much. Excellent.

It fails and then quickly re-tries and succeeds, right?