Roku App exits after movie completes

farside847

farside847

Noticed a kinda odd thing today. I watched a movie last night via direct play. Started the movie by clicking the "ok" button on the movie detail screen when "play" was highlighted. The movie played perfectly. I let it run all the way to the end and when the movie was over the app went back to the movie detail screen as expected. A few minutes later, the app exited to the home screen all by itself. Like somewone hit the "home" button. But no buttons were pressed. I tested it again this morning just to make sure Im not crazy :)

i also tried playing the same movie from the last chapter, it played and finished, and then went back to the chapter selection screen as expected and stayed there. The app never exited, just like I would expect. So it seems to only happen when I play from the main movie screen.

Has anyone else seen this? Its weird.

The roku has an auto-update cycle every 24 hours. It will only attempt to update when the roku is idle. Very likely this is what happened and some of your apps updated during this time. This is the only time I see that behavior.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

farside847

Hmmm, didnt think of that. I will try it a few more times and see whats happening here.

farside847

I tested it again, this is what I am seeing:

- hit "ok" button to "play" from movie screen to play full 2 hour movie

- direct stream, movie plays normally

- when movie ends, the movie detail screen is displayed as expected (i let it sit)

- after 5 minutes the emby screensaver starts, as expected

- after another 5 minutes, the emby app exits to the homepage

this does not happen with:

- shorter tv episodes

- when i fast forward through the movie to the end

- when i select the last chapter to play from

I did not see any errors in logs, but i can upload one if it would help.

this is the third time i have seen this today, so i am guessing this is not related to the daily roku check for updates.

What is your roku settings screen saver set to? Are you using default screen saver? Wait time for me is 10 minutes. You might try raising yours. If you choose the emby screen saver this might be what is causing it. When you leave it default you still get the emby screen saver in emby. When the videoplayer is paused, you get the standard roku one this way.

The 7.2 update also touched that interface to wrap sgnode functions through the screen saver. The emby app is still using rokus sdk1 screen saver function. The firmware update probably has something to do with it.

Is it always the same movie that causes this? The roku firmware does have code now to drop out of apps when the roku goes idle, but this should be after the hdmi device is powered down, like turning off the TV does. After the hdmi is off for so long, the roku will close back to the homescreen. This might be what is happening through a bug in the firmware possibly.

Edited by speechles

farside847

What is your roku settings screen saver set to? Are you using default screen saver? Wait time for me is 10 minutes. You might try raising yours. If you choose the emby screen saver this might be what is causing it. When you leave it default you still get the emby screen saver in emby. When the videoplayer is paused, you get the standard roku one this way.

The 7.2 update also touched that interface to wrap sgnode functions through the screen saver. The emby app is still using rokus sdk1 screen saver function. The firmware update probably has something to do with it.

Is it always the same movie that causes this? The roku firmware does have code now to drop out of apps when the roku goes idle, but this should be after the hdmi device is powered down, like turning off the TV does. After the hdmi is off for so long, the roku will close back to the homescreen. This might be what is happening through a bug in the firmware possibly.

Yep, I have the default screensaver enabled in the roku settings. I am used to the emby screensaver when in emby, and the roku logo when elsewhere.

The exit always happens after one movie, tried it a few times to make sure Im not crazy. Testing another movie now to test. Its funny, because I hardly ever let movies run until they stop, but I did it yesterday just for fun and saw the error.

Man, this 7.2 really hates me, causing issues on this plus 4GB files. 

farside847

And, my default screensaver is set to 5 min.

I watched another movie tonight and let it sit. After 5 minutes the emby app exited.

So I think your right. It is screensaver related.

Edited by farside847

Happy2Play

This is one of those changes that came with firmware 7.2 and there are reports of it on the Roku forum, but it would appear not every app is affected.

I use to never have to login to the Roku but now every time I change the TV settings to Roku I have to log back in.