DVD AC3 media not playing back - just spinning circle

Ronski
Go to solution Solved by Ronski,

Ronski

We're having a problem where the two PC's with Emby Theatre installed are not playing back DVD rips with AC3 sound, if I play a Blu Ray rip with AC3 sound it plays fine. If I play the DVD in the browser or on an Android device it plays fine, but in the Emby Theatre app all we get is the spinning circle. One PC is W10 the other W7.

2016-07-14 19:32:58.4009 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: H:\ServerFolders\Shared Media\Box Sets - Mixed DVD & Blu Rays\Harry Potter\Harry Potter Goblet of Fire (2005)\Harry Potter Goblet of fire.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True
2016-07-14 19:32:58.4009 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: H:\ServerFolders\Shared Media\Box Sets - Mixed DVD & Blu Rays\Harry Potter\Harry Potter Goblet of Fire (2005)\Harry Potter Goblet of fire.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

I've downloaded the latest server and theatre setup's just now and that made no difference. I've attached the current audio settings.

I've seen several posts with the same sort of problem but they all seem to say that after updating the problem was fixed, any thoughts or do you need some more info?

post-49898-0-15370800-1468522100_thumb.png

Edited by Ronski

Hi, this is a server log. I'm looking for an Emby Theater log, like you posted in the first post. Thanks.

Ronski

That bit in the first post is from the server log. I don't know where to find the Theatre Logs and googles only turning up results for the server, could you point me in the right direction please.

Sorry, my mistake. Go up from the server log folder and next to Emby-Server there should be an Emby-Theater folder with a similar structure.

It's trying to transcode your dvd rip through the server api. I would suggest updating your library setup in Emby Server so that you can avoid this. If you paths are configured in a way that Emby Theater can access them, then it will play the files directly over the network. If the server and Theater are on the same machine that should work out of the box. If on a different machine, you can share the paths over the network and then use path substitution, which is discussed in our wiki at the bottom of this page:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Library%20Setup

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Ronski

I have a separate server running Emby server, I've tried what you suggested and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. All I've done is added the paths under path substitution as per attached.

post-49898-0-98375100-1468524932_thumb.png

Ronski

I presume we actually want the log from the PC thats attemping to play the video, as thats what I've attached, thanks.

I notice the path is "\\\\Servers\\Shared Media\\Box Sets - Mixed DVD & Blu Rays\\Harry Potter\\Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" which doesn't seem right, too many \\??

theater-63604125035.txt

Edited by Ronski

Ok, so although you've configured path substitution, it is still streaming through the http server because emby theater believes it is unable to access this path:

\\Servers\Shared Media\Box Sets - Mixed DVD & Blu Rays\Harry Potter\Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

it determines this with just a simple file system check if the directory or file exists. If you can resolve this so that the emby theater machine can reach that path, then it will direct play over the network and you'll see a different result.

• Solution
Ronski

We have success, thank you very much.

It was a typo - should have been Server not Servers

Why did the blu rays play but not the DVD rips though?

• Like 1

Nicely done. You'll have to elaborate more on whatever other issue you're having. Thanks.

Ronski

My daughter says thank you as well, the only odd thing is the video is in the middle of the screen and not the full width, double click to go to windowed mode and double click to go full screen and then the video's full width.

Got to go now or I'll be in trouble with the wife :-)

theater-63604127024.txt