HLS (streaming video) supports subtitles?

BC101

According to the IETF draft of HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) -- http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pantos-http-live-streaming-12 -- subtitles are a supported attribute , however the only supported format is webvtt.

The good news -- according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip#WebVTT -- is the format is based on .srt and is very similar.

If this isn't already supported I guess this is a feature request (and should be moved).

Is this supported currently?

bloodtaker

I know the web client has it setup to have subtitles turned on or off as well as different audio as well. It uses the .srt format.

gcw07

This is the reason why we transcode with subtitles often. So we can burn in the subtitles to the video itself.

What i'm proposing is not burning them in, but using the webvtt subtitle format (converting .srt to it is trivial) and streaming those in segments just as you would the video (..segment0.ts, ..segment1.ts, etc) if anyone wants to know what the HLS format looks like, see these examples:

https://devimages.apple.com.edgekey.net/streaming/examples/bipbop_16x9/bipbop_16x9_variant.m3u8

If you load that up in notepad, find:

#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,GROUP-ID="bipbop_audio",LANGUAGE="eng",NAME="BipBop Audio 1",AUTOSELECT=YES,DEFAULT=YES
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,GROUP-ID="bipbop_audio",LANGUAGE="eng",NAME="BipBop Audio 2",AUTOSELECT=NO,DEFAULT=NO,URI="alternate_audio_aac_sinewave/prog_index.m3u8"

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=SUBTITLES,GROUP-ID="subs",NAME="English",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES,FORCED=NO,LANGUAGE="en",URI="subtitles/eng/prog_index.m3u8"
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=SUBTITLES,GROUP-ID="subs",NAME="English (Forced)",DEFAULT=NO,AUTOSELECT=NO,FORCED=YES,LANGUAGE="en",URI="subtitles/eng_forced/prog_index.m3u8"
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=SUBTITLES,GROUP-ID="subs",NAME="Français",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES,FORCED=NO,LANGUAGE="fr",URI="subtitles/fra/prog_index.m3u8"
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=SUBTITLES,GROUP-ID="subs",NAME="Français (Forced)",DEFAULT=NO,AUTOSELECT=NO,FORCED=YES,LANGUAGE="fr",URI="subtitles/fra_forced/prog_index.m3u8"
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=SUBTITLES,GROUP-ID="subs",NAME="Español",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES,FORCED=NO,LANGUAGE="es",URI="subtitles/spa/prog_index.m3u8"
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=SUBTITLES,GROUP-ID="subs",NAME="Español (Forced)",DEFAULT=NO,AUTOSELECT=NO,FORCED=YES,LANGUAGE="es",URI="subtitles/spa_forced/prog_index.m3u8"
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=SUBTITLES,GROUP-ID="subs",NAME="日本語",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES,FORCED=NO,LANGUAGE="ja",URI="subtitles/jpn/prog_index.m3u8"
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=SUBTITLES,GROUP-ID="subs",NAME="日本語 (Forced)",DEFAULT=NO,AUTOSELECT=NO,FORCED=YES,LANGUAGE="ja",URI="subtitles/jpn_forced/prog_index.m3u8"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=263851,CODECS="mp4a.40.2, avc1.4d400d",RESOLUTION=416x234,AUDIO="bipbop_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"
gear1/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=28451,CODECS="avc1.4d400d",URI="gear1/iframe_index.m3u8"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=577610,CODECS="mp4a.40.2, avc1.4d401e",RESOLUTION=640x360,AUDIO="bipbop_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"
gear2/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=181534,CODECS="avc1.4d401e",URI="gear2/iframe_index.m3u8"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=915905,CODECS="mp4a.40.2, avc1.4d401f",RESOLUTION=960x540,AUDIO="bipbop_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"
gear3/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=297056,CODECS="avc1.4d401f",URI="gear3/iframe_index.m3u8"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=1030138,CODECS="mp4a.40.2, avc1.4d401f",RESOLUTION=1280x720,AUDIO="bipbop_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"
gear4/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=339492,CODECS="avc1.4d401f",URI="gear4/iframe_index.m3u8"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=1924009,CODECS="mp4a.40.2, avc1.4d401f",RESOLUTION=1920x1080,AUDIO="bipbop_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"
gear5/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=669554,CODECS="avc1.4d401f",URI="gear5/iframe_index.m3u8"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=41457,CODECS="mp4a.40.2",AUDIO="bipbop_audio",SUBTITLES="subs"
gear0/prog_index.m3u8

Then look at the subtitle stream file:

https://devimages.apple.com.edgekey.net/streaming/examples/bipbop_16x9/subtitles/eng/prog_index.m3u8

#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:30
#EXT-X-VERSION:3
#EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE:0
#EXT-X-PLAYLIST-TYPE:VOD
#EXTINF:30, 
fileSequence0.webvtt
fileSequence1.webvtt
fileSequence2.webvtt
fileSequence3.webvtt
fileSequence4.webvtt

You see every 30 seconds the client requests the latest "chunk" so the client is doing proper streaming.

Edited by BC101

Tikuf

Since we don't currently use srt  directly (we convert on the fly to .ass) and we write the m3u8 on the fly it is not as trivial as you may think we have a few changes in the works with subs. But for now burn in is our best option as not all clients support webvtt and without ffmpeg support it would have to be a custom solution. Subtitle support is still maturing in ffmpeg but right now there are gaping holes this is what we can encode to >

ASS (Advanced SubStation Alpha) subtitle

DVB subtitles (codec dvb_subtitle)
 DVD subtitles (codec dvd_subtitle)
 3GPP Timed Text subtitle
 SubRip subtitle with embedded timing
 SSA (SubStation Alpha) subtitle
 SubRip subtitle
 DivX subtitles (XSUB)
Edited by Tikuf
  • Like 1

Great information, thanks!

Sorry, what I was saying is that it's trivial to convert .srt to .webvtt.

So I take it what you support is what ffmpeg supports natively, no more, no less.

So if ffmpeg supported outputing segments with webvtt, then it would be trivial to implement into MB3 ? :)

Edited by BC101

Tikuf

Yup I have seen that still it will be a bit before it filters and we can support it. There are changes coming to subs in the near future.

Sounds good. I'm not going to put considerable effort getting .srt's working via a side-loading method in that case. ffmpeg will support it officially soon and I'm sure it will be in the MB3 api shortly after 

• 6 months later...

This is now supported in the next dev build.

It's only supported with the new hls api and not the old one. you also have to add a param

SubtitleMethod=hls

because the default method is burning them in.