CoverArt: where to find old versions

Dan64

Dan64

I have recently downgraded the Emby server to version 3.0.5768.7. Unfortunately I don't have a backup of the plugins folder, and I need a version of CoverArt compatible with my server version. Where I can find the old versions of CoverArt ?

Except that you haven't even reported any issues, so why not start by doing that so that you can contribute to the community and stay on the latest version? Thanks!

Dan64

Actually I have a pending request here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/33217-please-add-the-open-option-in-the-edit-menu/ 

Since I really need this feature I decided to move back to version 3.0.5768.7, that allow me to open the detail page from insided the Metadata manager. After having spent a lot of time, It seems that my bad experience using Emby clients (any kind) is related to CoverArt that I really love. In effect by removing it all the problems related slow displaying of covers are disappeared. Probably this is due to some incompatibility related to Linux. I have discovered this fact just when I downgraded the Emby server version and in the plugins folder was missing the CoverArt plugin (since I removed also the library directory).   

Well, you also made a major change in your server version so that doesn't necessarily isolate your issue to CA.  CA definitely adds overhead but should be only in situations where images are having to be generated which is only the first time they are displayed in a particular client at a particular size.

But, to answer your original question - look closely at the page where you install CoverArt...

• Like 1

Dan64

Unfortunately using Emby server version 3.0.5768.7, the plugins CoverArt and EmbyXML are not available in the catalog.

Installing a more recent version of the server I downloaded the version 4.0.10.0

Doing so I was able to understand better the problem and to find a work-around.

The problem: After using a new version of Emby and after a library reset, Emby server starts to work correctly and fast enough. Then after some time (I don't have identify the event that raise the problem) Emby server starts to behave slow, the covers some time are not displayed or are displayed slowly. This change in Emby "internal state" is permanent even doing a server restart does not solve the problem.

Till now I have solved the problem by upgrading the server (new Emby versions are released frequentely) and by resetting the library. But as I said before, after some time the server starts to run slow.

The Workaround:

1) stop the server

2) rename CoverArt.dll

3) start the server

4) visit the pages that were displayed slowly (that now are displayed fast)

5) stop the server

6) restore back CoverArt.dll

7) start the server

Now the page are correctly rendered and are displayed fast like happen after a server upgrade and library reset.

Dan64

After few days using this configuration, it seems stable and also CoverArt is working as expected. In the previous version I was using the following option in System.xml:

<MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>false</MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>
<EnableStandaloneMetadata>false</EnableStandaloneMetadata>
<ImageSavingConvention>Legacy</ImageSavingConvention>

While now I'm using:

<MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>true</MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>
<EnableStandaloneMetadata>true</EnableStandaloneMetadata>
<ImageSavingConvention>Compatible</ImageSavingConvention>

My impression is that currently Emby is developed and tested using the last settings. While I'm not sure that the previous settings are still supported.

Edited by Dan64

The first two options will go away when we feel enough people have migrated to the new values, so yes it is wise to stay on the default values. the third one is only developed and tested under Compatible. We'll fix issues with legacy but we rely on the community to report them.

• 2 months later...

After 2 months I was able to reproduce the problem. I'm using Emby for Kodi plugin to use Emby as mediaserver for Kodi. I have accidently reset the Kodi cache for the artworks by answering yes to the related question when I reset the Emby for Kodi database. After the reset Kodi was unable to show/download the artworks from Emby server. The trick described in my previous post solved the problem. After removing CoverArt Kodi was able to download the artworks. In some way this trick remove some internal lock. After having seen that Kodi started to download the artworks I stopped it, restored CoverArt and now Kodi is able to download the artworks rendered by CoverArt without problems.

Edited by Dan64