Dolby D 5.1 no longer passes through on latest update1.2.22g

dnastro

I bet this is a limitation of the ARC.  Given that the "device" is built into the TV, I'm not sure you have any other option though.

mini__me

But the older versions of the app would pass this through!

And if forcing playback of TrueHD then it will transcode to AC3 so why can't DTS-HD at least be transcoded to AC3 rather than leaving me with stereo alone on my DTS films.

I appreciate the logic of trying to direct play where possible, but if I select an unsupported track explicitly then the logic should respect that and transcode.

It makes the Emby app almost worthless only getting stereo out now.

mastrmind11

Out of curiosity, if you have a receiver, why are you running anything through the ARC channel and not directly to the receiver?  ARC has many known limitations, one of them being its implementation by the TV manufacturer on what the TV reports as "supported".  Most times people would be lucky to get 2.0 over ARC.  I get you're saying that it used to work, but that may have been a bug in the Emby implementation that just happened to work for your setup.  My 2c.

mini__me

Used to work or not, I understand the logic of direct playing by default.

However on selecting a specific DTS/DTS-HD track the app should transcode to the highest 'supported' format in the same way as it does with my films with TrueHD, rather than just outputing stereo regardless of my selection.

I would be happy with that.

I use ARC for all the built-in apps on the TV, I have had no issues with ARC until a recent Emby version when this changed.

mini__me

In fact, when the changes to the Emby app were made to allow pass through of HD audio, Luke mentioned my name in a thread. I tested but no HD audio, however at that time DTS was still being passed.

I'm sure your TV does not support HD Audio.

The limitation to which I was referring was the reporting of actual capabilities.  The app changed to be more intelligent and not do things that the hardware says it cannot because that was causing problems with users who didn't know any better.

Now, we have a situation where the hardware is lying to us - or there is simply something that works when it really isn't supposed to - or the implementation on the TV is just wrong.

Creating tons of switches and options just makes the app harder for everyone to use properly so we'll just have to see what we can do about this particular situation.  I don't like adding options to force something to happen that the system tells us it cannot do because users turn on those options and then claim Emby doesn't work.  That is an unfortunate reality.

I'll have a think on it.

mini__me

I don't think it needs another option, just to behave as my films with TrueHD do.

Press play, defaults to direct play using compatible stream within the container.

Select incompatible stream and server transcodes to best available compatible option reported.

I can do a quick video over the weekend if it's not clear what I mean?

mini__me

And you are right I was hoping to have HD audio but I wasn't expecting it to work and I'm not surprised it doesn't work.

I don't think it needs another option, just to behave as my films with TrueHD do.

Press play, defaults to direct play using compatible stream within the container.

Select incompatible stream and server transcodes to best available compatible option reported.

I can do a quick video over the weekend if it's not clear what I mean?

You are expecting a different behavior when you select a "different" audio stream.  The problem with this is that the next time you play that item, we will remember your selection and that "different" audio stream will be the default.  So there really isn't any way for us to behave differently here by virtue of you selecting a stream from the menu.

mini__me

So I just got home to test and now my DTS-HD movies are coming through as AC3.....not sure if the server has updated or not, but at least now I have surround from my DTS Movies again :)

mini__me
:( From looking at the logs it seems this was related to an issue with my WiFi reducing the perceived bandwidth from the client....however it's given me a workaround now of reducing the setting to 15Mbit to force a transcode which gives me AC3 and acceptable video quality.