One file fails to play, just get spinning circle

Disorganise

Disorganise

Have a 6ish GB mkv of the F1 and per title, it won't play in ET.

Tried a few times with closing down ET in between and even rebooted the entire PC but to no avail.

Double clicking the file and playing through the default win10 media player worked just fine (and since pause/play still worked on my remote, that was my workaround).

Would like to try and resolve in case it ever happens again. Any ideas where to begin?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Disorganise

It says 5.1 AC3

ET is set to;

HDMI

None

Yes

Yes

Guest asrequested

I'm assuming other files of this type, play fine? If that's the case, it may just be a container issue. I've had that happen, before. You can try running it through MKVtoolnix,  https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html (It only takes a minute). If you can't play other files of this type, maybe the device you have connected to the HDMI doesn't support the audio (maybe a tv). If so, try changing your bitstreaming setting to 'none'.

Disorganise

Have heaps of files the similar and never had an issue before. I'll give the tool a whirl.

Fwiw it's plugged into an amp that does most things except Dolby Atmos.....plus the file played fine using media player, so I'm more inclined to think it's a problem in ET.

Guest asrequested

Have heaps of files the similar and never had an issue before. I'll give the tool a whirl.

Fwiw it's plugged into an amp that does most things except Dolby Atmos.....plus the file played fine using media player, so I'm more inclined to think it's a problem in ET.

Your file is 5.1, so Atmos isn't in play, here. Using media player, what filters/splitter/ decoders are you using? ET uses LAV. If the splitter is having trouble with the container, MKVtoolnix will fix that. I do think the issue lies in the file. Commonly, it's the audio track. If MKVtoolnix doesn't remedy it, use this https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo to get the details of the file. Take a screenshot and post it here.

Disorganise

Your file is 5.1, so Atmos isn't in play, here. Using media player, what filters/splitter/ decoders are you using? ET uses LAV. If the splitter is having trouble with the container, MKVtoolnix will fix that. I do think the issue lies in the file. Commonly, it's the audio track. If MKVtoolnix doesn't remedy it, use this https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo to get the details of the file. Take a screenshot and post it here.

Will take another look later. I was wrong.....the file is an mp4. I used that tool to convert it to mkv though, and same result. Wierd.

Disorganise

Sorry. Been spending time on Netflix rather than Emby...

Some weird events..

Last night my Fetch Tv was making static like noises so I went to Emby Theatre to narrow down (if same then amp could be faulty). Anyway, I could not play a file I played before (the latest Big Bang Theory) just got the spinning circle. Gave up and picked an mp3 from music and voilla....so my amp is fine.

So, just now I have some time to look at ET. Fired up and it just sat there with a black box "splash" screen sort of thing. I right clicked Emby server and fired up the browser. Found a fike to play and played it in browser. Whilst playing, ET finally fired up.

So stopped file in browser and quit browser altogether. Back to ET and found same show and hit resume....it played fine (mkv).

So, in ET went back to last big bang episode....and it played fine now too.

So I went to the F1 file....and it now also plays just fine.

So I've made no conscious changes to anything, but the file now plays. I'm guessing an update to ET which is why it took ages to open and that has fixed whatever the problem was

Disorganise

Hmmmm....something isn't quite right though.

Catalyst or not, I'm not sure, but.....starting Emby Theatre last night coincided with my router losing adsl. Enter the eternal hang.

Killed ET by task manager and tried again. Tried to resume a file I had started the previous night and just got the spinning circle. Tried a few times with same result, then rebooted the PC.

Upon reboot, it all started working perfectly. At least I have a workaround now I guess.

Guest asrequested

Hmmmm....something isn't quite right though.

Catalyst or not, I'm not sure, but.....starting Emby Theatre last night coincided with my router losing adsl. Enter the eternal hang.

Killed ET by task manager and tried again. Tried to resume a file I had started the previous night and just got the spinning circle. Tried a few times with same result, then rebooted the PC.

Upon reboot, it all started working perfectly. At least I have a workaround now I guess.

When last did you do a clean install of ET? Try removing it completely, reboot, and reinstall. I can't imagine ET had anything to do with losing your ADSL, but a clean install might correct instabilities 

Disorganise

Sorry...wasn't suggesting ET affects ADSL. More that ET hung (due to lack of internet) and subsequently couldn't play my file until full pc reboot......might it be related?

Disorganise

Oh. And not done a fresh install since doing a fresh pc build on win 10 a few months back. Can try that on the weekend though