Server Update ?

Ranger One

Ranger One

Server Information Version 3.0.5105.17830

Received the notification that the server was updating to new version 3.0.5115.35703.

Pending Installations

MBServer (3.0.5115.35703)

"Please restart the server to finish applying updates"

I've done this multiple times which shows up thru the notifications icon which shows a "successfull install.

I can only access this or anything else in the dashboard by a fresh start of the MBServer.

If I select "restart now" under "pending installations"  then afterwards anything I try to access thru the dashboard I receive an "error loading page" message.

Am I missing something or did I get a corrupt update file?

Koleckai Silvestri

You may have several restarts depending on plugins installed. If it isn't clearing, try closing the server from your system tray and restarting. 

If you're using the service, it cannot do automatic updates so you'll need to manually update the software.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
bradford

You may have several restarts depending on plugins installed. If it isn't clearing, try closing the server from your system tray and restarting. 

If you're using the service, it cannot do automatic updates so you'll need to manually update the software.

Sorry to resurrect this, but is there any technical reason why this is the case? If not, I'd like to make a request that service installs auto update.

bradford

Yes, there are technical reasons.

Will you share them? A windows service can technically restart itself, which seems like the most obvious technical obstacle. I'm a software engineer myself so I'm curious what the limitations are.

Edited by bradford

Will you share them? A windows service can technically restart itself, 

When the app updates, it doesn't just restart itself.  Another process has to run to do the update and then that process has to re-start the service.  If that process is not under an account with privileges to start services, then it won't work.

There are definitely ways to solve the problem but there aren't enough people running as a service for us to warrant applying core resources to implement them.  A couple different people have said they would look at it and then disappeared.

Would be great if you want to look at it.

• Like 1

Vidman

Will you share them? A windows service can technically restart itself, which seems like the most obvious technical obstacle. I'm a software engineer myself so I'm curious what the limitations are.

If you use the search function of this forum you should be able to find numerous threads about this and the reasons for it ;) Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1