HD Content plays for 1-2 seconds and stops on my Desktop

Eddie

Eddie

I just setup Live TV

I can watch SD content on my Desktop and it works perfectly.....

The moment i try to watch the same channels on my Desktop in HD it plays for 1 - 2 seconds and the video just stops playing... the computer remains responsive

As a side note for some reason my cell phone Galaxy Note 4 with the latest Emby version wont even show the HD channels on SD channels which run fine.

So i am running a dedicated FreeNas Server

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor

8 Gigs of ECC RAM

FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606072003 (696eba7)

Emby Version 3.0.5972 as a plugin in a jail

Comast TV Provider

SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME Cable HDTV (3-Tuner) with an MCard

Model: HDHR3-CC 

Firmware 20150826

Entire network connected via a gigabit switch

My computer 

AMD Phenom II X4 980

12 Gigs of RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Chrome Version 51.0.2704.103 m (64-bit)

Thanks in Advance

Yea it looks like you're just barely getting 25fps which is likely going to stutter. In your case, your options are:

- get a faster cpu

- get an HDHomerun that supports on-device h264 transcoding, this way the TV Tuner can do the work instead of your server

- use Emby apps that can direct play the Live TV, such as Emby Theater for Windows or Emby for Android.

Eddie

Man you guys are fast....

Thanks again you guys have a great product!

Edited by Eddie

Eddie

I used EMBY Theater in my windows PC and streaming HD Content worked great!

Question #1

This is the CPU list that my ASUS M4A78LT-M LE motherboard supports would any of these CPUS work?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A78LTM_LE/HelpDesk_CPU/

Question #2

I dont know if i should open another topic on this but....

My Samsung Note 4 running the latest EMBY does not show any HD Content in the GUIDE section for LIVE TV for some reason......it only displays the SD Channels and it works perfectly....

As a side note using the "HDHomeRun View" App for my Samsung Note 4 does allow me browse ALL the channels SD and HD and watch them without any issue.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Eddie

Eddie

Just wanted to point out i noticed a few other people were having the same problem with Live TV stream freezing a few seconds after starting.

My SD content plays perfectly on my phone and on my desktop via chrome.

HD plays perfect on my desktop via Emby Theater for WIndows

I noticed i was able to watch some HD channels on my desktop using chome if i switched the bitrate to 720p 4 mbps...... thought this was kinda wierd... i am going to play with this some more and report back...

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/33226-live-tv-streaming-freezes-seconds-after-starting-stream/?hl=live

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/33840-live-tv-plays-then-stops-until-a-different-bit-rate-is-chosen/?hl=live-tv

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36380-live-tv-stream-fails-shortly-after-playback/

• 4 weeks later...
Eddie

bump....

My current CPU

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor Dual-Core 2.8 GHz Socket AM3 65W ADX240OCGQBOX Processor Athlon II X2 240 C2 2.8 GHz 2x 1 MB 2 GHz 14x 0.85 - 1.425 65 W AM3 July 23, 2009 ADX240OCK23GQ

Based on this list of CPUs my motherboards supports

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A78LTM_LE/HelpDesk_CPU/

which is recommended to be able to stream HD content from my SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME Cable HDTV (3-Tuner) with an MCard

I think this is the best CPU in the list is

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Processor, Black Edition, 3.0/3.4 Turbo GHz Socket AM3 - HD96ZTWFGRBOX

Phenom II X4 960T
Black Edition[6][7] E0 3.0 GHz 3.4 GHz 4x 512 KB 6 MB 2 GHz 15x 0.825 - 1.400 95 W AM3 Q4 2010 (OEM) HD96ZTWFK4DGR

If the AMD Phenom II X4 960T is overkill let me know i dont want to spend more than i have to... thanks again.

Guest asrequested

Comast TV Provider

Firmware 20150826

I'm not sure if this will help in this case, but try updating your firmware for your HDHR prime

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613

A helpful guide

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36785-how-to-guide-on-setting-up-live-tv-with-hd-homerun-prime/

Edited by Doofus

Eddie

ty for the suggestion.... I will try the new update and report back later tonight.... but i am still wondering about what processor is recommended to run Live TV smoothly...

Edited by Eddie

Bump

So i downloaded and installed 20160809atest1

It didnt update my HDHomeRun PRIME HDTV Tuner it stayed at my current firmware which is Firmware  20160630atest2

1) My main problems are HD will play for 1 to 2 seconds and stop....

2) When using my phone using the EMBY App it will show ONLY SD channels and wont even show me the HD channels for some reason.

I am willing to buy a new processor but i do not know if simply buying a newer model from the same generation will make much of a difference

This following link doesnt look too promising if i buy a Phenom II X4 965  it doesnt look like it will perform that much better at transcoding and will require much more wattage which will generate more heat and cost more yearly.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X2-240

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Here is my updated information.

So i am running a dedicated FreeNas Server

AMD Athlon™ II X2 240 Processor

8 Gigs of ECC RAM

FreeNAS-9.10.1 (d989edd)

Emby Version 3.0.6030 as a plugin in a jail in freenas

Comast TV Provider

Firmware  20160630atest2

thanks in advance

I looked into your log earlier and in post #4 suggested it might be cpu related. I took another look now and it still looks that way. Yes it does look like the one you're looking at would offer an improved experience.

Does emby utilize multiple cores?

Does emby utilize multiple cores when running as a plugin in a jail in freenas?

Would it benefit me getting a 4 core over a 2 core

Phenom II X2 B593 C3 3.4 GHz 2x 512 KB 6 MB 2.2 GHz 17x 0.775 - 1.425 80 W AM3 2011 HDXB59WFK2DGM

has a higher per core clock speed but only 2 cores...

vs 

Phenom II X4 960T
Black Edition[6][7] E0 3.0 GHz 3.4 GHz 4x 512 KB 6 MB 2 GHz 15x 0.825 - 1.400 95 W AM3 Q4 2010 (OEM) HD96ZTWFK4DGR

More cores but higher wattage

The price isnt much of a difference so its not the deciding factor....

and as a disclaimer i know that this isnt a guarantee to fix my problem and i may get a faster proc and it still not work right so dont worry about that i know your just giving your 2 cents...

Thanks in Advance

well based on that response i am getting the 

Phenom II X6 1045T E0 2.7 GHz 3.2 GHz 6x 512 KB 6 MB 2 GHz 13.5x 0.975 - 1.425 95 W AM3 September 2010 (OEM)

HDT45TWFK6DGR

Thats is the fastest highest core cpu my motherboard will support.... ill let you guys know what happens in a week or so... wish me luck!

Now as i wait for my CPU to arrive on to my second problem

PROBLEM # 2

SD & HD Channels popluate just fine when browsing EMBY through my web browser on my desktop..... 

but..

HD channels do not populate on my Samsung Note 4 cell phone when using the EMBY App OR using the chrome browser on my cell phone.....

SD Channels populate and play just fine on my Samsung Note 4 using EMBY app or chrome browser

any thoughts?

That's an open issue right now as the guide is limited to 100 channels. It will be resolved in a future app update. In the meantime if you like you can make channels as favorites to bump them up to the top of the guide.

Just got the Phenom II X6 1045T E0 2.7 GHz 3.2 GHz 6x 512 KB 6 MB 2 GHz 13.5x 0.975 - 1.425 95 W AM3 September 2010 (OEM) in the mail... updating emby to 3.0.6060 right now... ill be able to report back in a few minutes to see if it worked

IT WORKED.... at least 1 HD channel played smooth.... thanks again for the suggestion!

now we know minimum specs for Smooth HD playback....

Edited by Eddie