App broken on IOS Beta 10

horstepipe
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

horstepipe

hey

I know it's beta, just want to mention that the Emby app doesn't work on IOS 10 public beta.

After login you get an endless spinning circle.

Instead it finally seems to work with Safari now :D

Edited by horstepipe

Just thought I'd mention that one of our beta testers is running the app on iOS10.

KillermanGabe

Also experiencing this problem. Endless circle, however if I close the app and re open it sometimes it will work. When I click on a show or categorey it takes me back to the add new server screen. Website works fine, app doesn't. Running iOS 10 Beta 3.

nzspambot

Live TV works for me on IOS Beta 10 but the Library will either spin in a swircle or throw some sort of error (to quick to see properly) and go back to the home screen. 

• 1 month later...

Having just updated to the release version of iOS 10 on an iPhone 6s, I get the endless spinner every time I open the app (1.22). If I access other screens via the library menu it works, but the home screen just will not load.

I am running iOS10 on an iPhone SE (VZW).. Not beta.  Emby 1.2.2.  App crashes a lot when trying to browse libraries or folders, crashed trying to identify a movie, crashed trying to add a movie to a collection..a lot of hangs when loading screens.  App clearly has some issues.  I am currently a Plex Pass user, I was trying to evaluate Emby for a switch..

Edited by jnheinz
  • Like 1

I am running iOS10 on an iPhone SE (VZW).. Not beta.  Emby 1.2.2.  App crashes a lot when trying to browse libraries or folders, crashed trying to identify a movie, crashed trying to add a movie to a collection..a lot of hangs when loading screens.  App clearly has some issues.  I am currently a Plex Pass user, I was trying to evaluate Emby for a switch..

I can confirm this - so far I have identified the following issues,

• 50/50 Clicking the 3-dot menus crashes the app.
  • The home screen does not load when opening the app, you have to navigate to another area and then back in order to display the home screen.
  • Launching a video results in a weird issue where the iOS default video player overlays the Emby styled video player.
  • iOS header bar always visible during playback.
  • No access to "Now Playing" if connected to an external device.
  • Enabling subtitles mid stream results in the app crashing.
  • Concurrent music playback still broken!

All of the above occurs on an iPhone 6s iOS10.I am running iOS10 on an iPhone SE (VZW).. Not beta.  Emby 1.2.2.  App crashes a lot when trying to browse libraries or folders, crashed trying to identify a movie, crashed trying to add a movie to a collection..a lot of hangs when loading screens.  App clearly has some issues.  I am currently a Plex Pass user, I was trying to evaluate Emby for a switch..

Edited by dcrdev

michael_stonebridge

I can confirm this - so far I have identified the following issues,

• 50/50 Clicking the 3-dot menus crashes the app.
  • The home screen does not load when opening the app, you have to navigate to another area and then back in order to display the home screen.
  • Launching a video results in a weird issue where the iOS default video player overlays the Emby styled video player.
  • iOS header bar always visible during playback.
  • No access to "Now Playing" if connected to an external device.
  • Enabling subtitles mid stream results in the app crashing.
  • Concurrent music playback still broken!

All of the above occurs on an iPhone 6s iOS10.I am running iOS10 on an iPhone SE (VZW).. Not beta.  Emby 1.2.2.  App crashes a lot when trying to browse libraries or folders, crashed trying to identify a movie, crashed trying to add a movie to a collection..a lot of hangs when loading screens.  App clearly has some issues.  I am currently a Plex Pass user, I was trying to evaluate Emby for a switch..

Can confirm. I'm running Emby 1.22 on iOS 10.1 on iPhone 6. Emby server is at latest stable 3.0.7200.0.

The app is unusable. It crashes every 5 to 10 seconds when randomly clicking menu items. Many design elements don't work properly, for example the "More" and "Libraries" button are often disabled, i.e., nothing happens when clicking them,

Are you working on the issue?

@@Luke this is getting a bit silly with the app being unusable for weeks at a time, now I appreciate a big part of that is Apple's drawn out review process; still.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but looking at an early iteration of the app on Github - it's just an Apache Cordova powered app i.e. it's mostly html ? That being the case could the app not just be a basic runtime that downloads the html payload from an external server when an update is made available? That way bug fixes could be pushed out more rapidly - I've got a few apps on my phone that appear to be doing precisely that.

Again massively appreciate the effort on all parts, but I also want something that's stable; given that iOS auto downloads updates without anyway to turn them off, I really don't know when I can rely on the app to be there when I need it.

There is a mechanism for doing that using ServiceWorker and cache api's, and we are doing that on other platforms. The problem is Apple so far has chosen not to support those api's, so while the answer to your question is yes, we'd have to do it in a proprietary way just for this app. I'm really surprised this has come up because just prior to the ios 10 release it was running very smoothly on the betas.