Metadata tools

bruce73

bruce73

I'm new to MB and am trying to organize my video library so that I can use MBT for playback of everything. I've used MyMovies forever, but mainly as a means to keep track of titles. I'd like to make better use of genres and other filters to make sorting easier, rather than relying on folder grouping.

What 3rd party tools are recommended? I tried XMLTagTweaker, but kept getting unhandled exceptions, so didn't get very far. I don't want to have to manually edit all of those movie.xml files.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Koleckai Silvestri

You can just use Media Browser Server to do this. It presents you with a nice Web Client interface and you can edit all Metadata for movies and television. If you need to refresh the data, it can go out and gather this (or scrape) from various sites. It will also pull in logos, backgrounds, thumbnails and posters if you want it to. It is all built in. 

If you use other clients like XBMC, you can even write out their Metadata files using the XMBC Metadata plugin. Other plugins like Genre Cleaner help you keep things neat so you don't end up with four different genres for Science Fiction.

As an example, I recently used the Studio Cleaner plugin incorrectly. I ended up deleting all my studios. So I just went to my movie folders and told Media Browser Server to refresh the Metadata for all my movies. 15 minutes later, all my studios were back and everything was working as it should.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Hi there @@bruce73,

MB will do all the leg work for you with regards to metadata. On the rare occasion that it may not, Just ensure that after you set your collections folders, go into the metadata manager and force refresh, this will populate all metadata required for your collections including artwork.

If you have any other questions, fire away

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 2

bruce73

I'm familiar with editing using the web interface, but I was looking for a way to batch edit. For instance one my sources is an external drive that has my film noir DVDs ripped to MKV. Some XMLs were created with that genre, but many more were not. I'm looking for a way not to have to edit each one separately.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

bloodtaker

i have always used a combination with mb  i let it do the work for the most part but for trailers and some other info that it doesn't pull i use media center master as it has a batch format style takes a bit to get used to but works good as i have not gotten a supporter licenese yet due to a Paypal issue on my end.

• Like 1

trusselo

I personally like Media Center Master (MCM) it has many batch actions, including metadata fetching, moving/renaming files/folders how YOU want, and much more.

There is also tv and movie torrent downloading, utorrent integration and many other great management tools and scripts to run.

http://www.mediacentermaster.com/

• Like 1

bruce73

Yes, UseNet and I have had a very close relationship over the years. ;-)

One quick question: does MCM need to be installed on the same PC as MBT and XBMC? It would be easier for me to work on my desktop than my HTPC.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by bruce73
  • Like 1

pagali

Yes, UseNet and I have had a very close relationship over the years. ;-) One quick question: does MCM need to be installed on the same PC as MBT and XBMC? It would be easier for me to work on my desktop than my HTPC. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have MCM installed on my media editing and processing computer, it works fine to maintain and process metadata on the file server, which is completely separate. :)  I don't leave it running all the time, though... just when I've added new stuff.

• Like 1

trusselo

Mine runs 24/7 but have a 6 core AMD... I can game and serve/ download media. No game uses more than 4 cores..

- Sent from my Galaxy S IV

MediaBrowser - Take your media to the next level.

XDA developers - Your home for mobile device development.