Transcoding troubleshooting

flackster
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

flackster

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot why all streams from my HDHomerun Prime are being transcoding to a FireTv box.

Server is running a 8 core AMD 9590 on Window 7

Using a HDHomerun Prime (on most recent firmware)

Linear Video streams are either 1080i or 720p in a .ts container with Ac3 audio

Client is FireTV connected to an Onkyo receiver that supports just about everything you can throw at it

I've tried any number of settings on the FireTV.

- changed max bit rate from auto to 40mbs and back (I have a solid signal connection)

- checked both direct stream and VLC

- audio output of direct and bit streaming (have done some alternating here as well)

I seem to recall it direct streaming before, but now any number of settings result in transcoded stream. I've run out of answers...

In the transcoding log I see this snippet, which seems to be where it is deciding to transcode or direct play, but I'm not very adept at parsing it out. Any help would be tremendous.

post-61971-0-01622200-1468164255_thumb.jpeg

• Solution

You are positive the firmware is the latest?  You installed the beta DVR software in order to get that firmware?

Also, please post the entire transcode log.

• Like 1

farside847

I just picked up a FTV (prime day, $30 off today only) to play with this weekend. It sounds like I will need to do this HDHR firmware update too. I found this link that I think has the package I need: https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613

My questions are:

- do I just run the .exe file on my win machine and it will update the firmware?

- will this new firmware still work with WMC  (I still have some stuff that uses it)

- does it give you the option to backup the old firmware in case it breaks?

- any risks to using the DVR firmware for non-DVR users?

Sorry for the simple questions, I just dont want to break my currently working set up by accidentally doing something stupid :)

flackster

I'm a mac user so I can't tell you if it is exactly the same, but my experience was:

- the mac *.dmg package discovered the HDHR and installed the fireware

- It also had the option of unchecking the actual record software

- I also use WMC for some other stuff and it continues to work fine

- I didn't pay super close attention to the script as it ran, but I don't believe it took a backup (I could be mistaken)

- I'm a non-DVR user and it's working fine.

Hope that helps.