Windows 10 - Live TV Time Shift

n.blair01

Hi, welcome. this is a feature that we haven't yet added but is on our roadmap.

krustyreturns

One option is to install wmc in win10 now and make the transition later when emby tv adds the feature you want.

epayson85

Android / firetv it absolutely doesn't in fact it will crash. You can pause, that's it. The web it doesn't. Theater it doesn't. There are actually plenty of threads talking about this very subject and one where Krusty mentions it could be possible with some tweaks but nothing ever happened. Certainly serverwmc works with time shifting on Kodi but not with Emby.

Edited by epayson85
  • Like 2

So the requirement here is just being able to rewind and fast forward through the entire length of the program since you started streaming?

So the requirement here is just being able to rewind and fast forward through the entire length of the program since you started streaming?

And pause for an indefinite period.

One thing people probably don't realize is that this feature and direct streaming from the tuner would be mutually exclusive.  Not that it would be much of a tax on the server, but the stream would always have to go through it and people would get in a twist just because it wasn't "direct playing" :).

pünktchen

One thing people probably don't realize is that this feature and direct streaming from the tuner would be mutually exclusive.  Not that it would be much of a tax on the server, but the stream would always have to go through it and people would get in a twist just because it wasn't "direct playing" :).

I know you don't like that, but let the people decide themselves. We need options, options, options :D

It is definitely a feature we want to implement.  People will just have to realize there is no way to direct stream from the tuner and provide this functionality.

• Like 1

pünktchen

It is definitely a feature we want to implement.  People will just have to realize there is no way to direct stream from the tuner and provide this functionality.

Just make a big bold warning next to the option ;)

Edited by pünktchen

krustyreturns

Just speaking for serverwmc:

If the user has configured serverwmc to do dlna streaming (and if the tuner supports it), serverwmc can't time shift.  This is because it's a direct-to-tuner mode.  But for any other serverwmc mode, time shifting is possible because serverwmc is buffering live-tv data to a .ts file and it's this data that is being streamed to the player, therefor seeking, ff, rw, skip-forward, skip-backward, are all possible so long as the player can do this with a ts file (and they all can).

This is why other players like kodi have no problem with time shift and serverwmc.  It gets a little muddy with emby though. Serverwmc can either pass an http link to the 'active' ts file or it can pass the direct file path to the ts file.  Passing the direct file path should enable time shift in all cases (like kodi), but emby (really ffmpeg) has trouble noticing that this ts file was actually growing for live-tv streams (because serverwmc is constantly adding new live data), and because of this would sometimes prematurely close the file, thinking it had hit the end-of-file.  In that case users would suddenly see this live stream stop at random times.

So to fix this problem, serverwmc sends back an http link to emby to the ts file.  In this mode serverwmc is actually doing the reading of the file for emby and, because of this, it can make sure ffmpeg never hits an end-of-file on the ts file.  This keeps the stream from prematurely stopping.  But the downside, players will not allow time shift operations (seek, ff, rw, etc) on http streams.  This gets confusing though, because some people  report that some clients can time shift in this mode.  I don't know enough about it to know whether http trick play is client dependent or not.  But I know at least with web browser clients, trick play does not work in http mode.

I still think this problem could be solved with emby, if serverwmc could handle the file operations itself by passing back a 'FileStream' object to emby rather then a file path or an http stream.  Whether this is possible or just too problematic for the emby folks I don't know. 

epayson85

I have seen it working in Roku too but I haven't used my Roku in over a year... Time shifting isn't worth giving up the better UI and other improvement you get on the other clients.  

Reading everything you wrote Krusty sounds promising... so if I enable the direct file path it would work today on all clients but will have issues if I FF past the current end time?  The real question is can we achieve direct play of this TS file?  I would assume VLC can handle playing it directly?  The reason I have started using live channels / hdhomerun live over emby for live tv is because direct play is even more important than time shifting.  I rather save my CPU for remote users or files that absolutely need to transcode.  If we could find a way to fix the issue with the HTTP link along with direct play of the TS file it would be huge.  Then I wouldn't have to have tuner conflicts constantly on my main WMC PC when I watch livetv else where.  

Spaceboy

It is definitely a feature we want to implement. People will just have to realize there is no way to direct stream from the tuner and provide this functionality.

It would be possible for those external services that support time shifting though. With the proper integration. There are some settings in the dvblink plugin but it's not clear what they do or conflict with other settings

It would be possible for those external services that support time shifting though. With the proper integration. There are some settings in the dvblink plugin but it's not clear what they do or conflict with other settings

Not unless the tuner itself is somehow doing it.  Something has to be in the middle recording the stream.

In any case, this isn't really all that important.  We want to support time shifting and users will adjust to the fact it isn't streaming direct.  Your Tivo or other DVR doesn't either as it is recording everything in order to provide this functionality as well.  So it is just a perception thing.

Spaceboy

Not unless the tuner itself is somehow doing it. Something has to be in the middle recording the stream.

In any case, this isn't really all that important. We want to support time shifting and users will adjust to the fact it isn't streaming direct. Your Tivo or other DVR doesn't either as it is recording everything in order to provide this functionality as well. So it is just a perception thing.

Well when you say direct stream I hear no transcoding, fast forward, rewind, pause. I'm not really bothered that there might be something in the middle dealing with that. So we are saying the same, perception.

swhitmore

When this feature comes out, and the Live TV UI matures a little more, I might have to buy myself a HD Homerun. Man those things are expensive though...

Edited by swhitmore

Guest asrequested

Yes, pausing would be great. I've been waiting for that. It has also been asked that we can watch a show while it's being recorded. I suggested that maybe these two features could be combined. Maybe the functionality that allows for the recording, could somehow be implemented in such a way that would allow us to pause? I'm not sure if that's possible, but food for thought?

Spaceboy

As ebr says it's pretty simple really. When any dvr plays a channel it's playing back real time from a temp recording of that channel. When you pause, you are just pausing playback of the temp file. Fast forward/ rewind the same. It just takes a change in approach by emby but this is how external services such as dvblink work

puithove

For me, pausing and skipping around in "live" TV (unrecorded) is a nice-to-have.  Honestly don't use it much.  Generally if one of us turns on something on Live TV, it's just turn it on and let it play.

What's more important for me is to playback an active recording, and be able to move around in it.  My use case:  set it to record a sports event (with plenty of padding time on the end in case the event runs over), do something else for a while so it can queue up, start watching while still recording, skip forward through the commercials, pause to get up for a snack or use the bathroom (or when the wife decides to start talking about something right during an exciting part at the end), rewind to catch something I missed.

Right now, it's the ability to watch active recordings that keeps me on my Kodi / TVHeadend combo.  (that and some live tv usability issues in Emby Theater such as page up/down in the guide, and channel surfing)

One other thing - if you are looking to start on this path, consider this in your design before you start:  ability to simultaneously send output from one incoming stream to multiple destinations.  Meaning, take input from one tuner, and do multiple things with it.  Have one client actively watching Live TV, while also recording, or multiple recordings.  This becomes more important when you think about back-to-back recordings on the same channel each having pre & post padding.  With this type of switchboard approach, you can have 10 users all streaming the same TV channel, as well as multiple recordings with different start/stop times, but only utilize one tuner.  Vs. right now, if you have back-to-back recordings on the same channel, it'll want to use two tuners for the overlapping pre & post padding time and additional tuners for any clients watching the same channel.

One other thing - if you are looking to start on this path, consider this in your design before you start:  ability to simultaneously send output from one incoming stream to multiple destinations.  Meaning, take input from one tuner, and do multiple things with it.  Have one client actively watching Live TV, while also recording, or multiple recordings.  This becomes more important when you think about back-to-back recordings on the same channel each having pre & post padding.  With this type of switchboard approach, you can have 10 users all streaming the same TV channel, as well as multiple recordings with different start/stop times, but only utilize one tuner.  Vs. right now, if you have back-to-back recordings on the same channel, it'll want to use two tuners for the overlapping pre & post padding time and additional tuners for any clients watching the same channel.

This feature is already available to you if you're using the NextPVR backend with Emby.

puithove

This feature is already available to you if you're using the NextPVR backend with Emby.

Also TVHeadend.  I'm talking about having a similar setup in the built-in stuff.