Upgrade problems - new version of Emby will not install

mhaubrich

mhaubrich

I should have left well enough alone. Emby was working, but the new version was out and the message on the dashboard was asking me to update it. This was a few days ago, and sorry but I have no idea what version I was on before - I know it was three.something.  It might have been more than six months old.  The new version of Emby required the new version of .NET, which installed, albeit very slowly.  At some point after .NET was installed the server rebooted itself.  I'm not sure where Emby was in the installation process at that time (I was logged into the server via RDP and not paying 100% attention).  Almost positive the new .NET version is on there correctly because it seemed like that part had finished, and furthermore today I noticed there were 9 "critical" Windows Updates related to that version of .NET (which I installed).  At this point I cannot get the new version of Emby to work, and I can't re-install it.  I keep getting "Unhandled exception: one or more errors occurred" when I try to install Emby.  I tried going into add/remove programs and uninstalling Emby 3, rebooting the server, and then re-installing Emby but that didn't work either - same error message.  It gets past the part where it's downloading Emby when the install crashes.

Any suggestions?  How can I get Emby working again?

System:

WHS 2011

Celeron G540 on ASRock B75 Pro 3, 8GB RAM

DriveBender 2.4 with a 29TB drive pool

mhaubrich

Sorry, I missed that part. Please see attached.

The log file seems to indicate it installed successfully. If so, why the error message and why does't the service start automatically when I start up the Server?  I can't get Emby to start when I go to the start menu and select it -- it throws the same error message about unhandled exceptions.

server-install.log

Thanks. This is the install log though. I need to see the Emby Server log from when it tries to run. Instructions on where to get it are in the link above. Thanks.

mhaubrich

I had a hard time finding the logs because they were not in an Emby folder - the path I found them in was: <C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server>

There were 35 files in the folder and many were over 10MB so I zipped them.  Please see attached.

logs.zip

Happy2Play

I had a hard time finding the logs because they were not in an Emby folder - the path I found them in was:

There were 35 files in the folder and many were over 10MB so I zipped them.  Please see attached.

Thanks. It looks like you originally installed during our Media Browser days, which is why your installation is in that folder. I think there's an issue with the new release and upgrading from a really old version. We'll look into it. In the meantime, you can resolve this by shutting down the server and deleting the file:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\data\library.db