Optimal settings for best quality / error free playback

I had an issue this evening with playing back a film that has an external subtitle file.

I checked for help with settings on the wiki, but couldn't find anything.

I then trawled the Emby Theater forum and think I discovered that EVR+ has issues with subtitle, so best to use MadVR if the hardware can handle it.

I then saw another forum thread that suggests that MadVR may have an issue with auto refresh rate changing, 

Subtitles seem to work okay for me with EVR and MadVR, and MadVR seems to look a bit better than EVR.

EVR+ also looks good, but is very buggy with subtitles.

So, I am sticking to MadVR for now on the lounge PC, but I have other machines in the house that I also need to configure,

It would be helpful to have some guidance on what these settings do, or how best to set them... If possible...

Hardware Accelaration Mode- I know this switches some of the playback task from the CPU to the GPU - but how should it be set - just left on auto? What does auto do?

Display Mode - is this setting important / will auto be okay / does it affect refresh rate switching?

Video Renderer - are these in order of quality EVR / EVR+ / MadVR - what are the known pros and cons of each mode?

Filter Set - Stable / Edge - I like the idea of stability so went for that, but am I missing out on something Edge-y?!

Thanks very much, 

lisa

I would leave everything on default, except for video renderer. If your machine can handle it, then madvr is best.