Emby IOS app, chromecast, play button does not play

Catfood

Catfood

When I try to cast media to my Chromecast using the Emby IOS app, the play button does not work.

I've searched on this topic, and in other threads I've seen support given a few times, along the lines of:

"what this most likely means is that the Chromecast device cannot reach your Emby Server. If you look at the front page of the emby server dashboard, it will show the internal address. That is the address the chromecast will attempt to use in order to reach your server."

If I log into my windows server the has Emby running on it, I can use Chrome browser to cast media to my Chromecast just fine, so presumably the Chromecast can reach my server.  The address listed on the front page in Emby is the correct address for my server.  Yet the problem remains, and I have no good ideas on how to get any logs from the IOS device or the Chromecast device that would tell me wtf is going on.  I've run Wireshark on the server, and when pressing play there is no network traffic from the chromecast that would indicate the Chromecast is trying to initiate a stream.  I have no easy way to sniff the wifi traffic from the Chromecast to find out what its doing.  Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this issue would be appreciated.

Hi, this is a true statement and in most cases it's an issue of connectivity. 

However, tonight I did find and fix an issue with the Chromecast receiver that might be causing this. I've pushed an update. To get the update, just reboot your CC device and restart the app you're casting from. Please try it out and report back. Thanks!

Catfood

I rebooted the Chromecast and tried again, same behavior.  

I'm going to see if I can get tcpdump onto my (Tomato) router so I can maybe see what the Chromecast is trying to do.

are you inside your home network or external? check the addresses on the front page of the emby server dashboard because those are what the CC will use to try to connect.

Catfood

All internal LAN.  The internal address on the front page of Emby is correct.  I've run wireshark on the server running Emby and I'm not seeing the Chromecast try to connect when I hit play.  The firewall on the server is turned off as well.

what address are you connecting to the server with using the app? was it auto-discovered or did you manually enter one?

Catfood

Auto discovered...  I just now added the server manually in the IOS app using the internal address, and tried again and playing to the Chromecast worked.  Is the app defaulting to the external address when it auto discovers or something?

• 1 month later...