Forking and editting the default skin

mentasm

Guest asrequested

I also see 2 display settings icons.

No idea why the other pages work fine for me but not for you. Do you see the same if you load the plug in using TV.emby.media ?

The icons are present there.

577b465568072_Snapshot_153.jpg

Happy2Play

Testing other skins did the same thing with Settings "User Icon" and "Search" disappearing.  If you hit esc you can bring up Settings.  (Desktop version)

577b51bcb72dd_plug1.jpg

577b51cc1bbd4_plug2.jpg

Guest asrequested

Testing other skins did the same thing with Settings "User Icon" and "Search" disappearing.  If you hit esc you can bring up Settings.  (Desktop version)

Yeah, same thing when hitting backspace

Jdiesel

I finally got around to forking the default skin and have been doing some testing on the Chrome web app. I was able to make some minor edits to the home screens but haven't gotten much further then that at this point as I am I'm learning javascript as I go. 

What I would like to do is:

1. Change the TV "All Series" cards from posters to banner in a two column vertical scroll. Currently I only see support for portrait, backdrop, and square cards. I am also unable to get imageLoader to bring in the TV banner images.

2. Revamp the TV series item view completely. I want to flatten the season folders and have all the episodes available in a vertical scroller on the main page. Cast and Recommendations will either be removed completely or moved to a sub menu.

This is all new to me so it will be slow going.

In my case (and with ET for Windows) I had to restart ET to make the skin change actually work.

Same thing for moving back to the default skin.

In my case (and with ET for Windows) I had to restart ET to make the skin change actually work.

Same thing for moving back to the default skin.

The process of changing skins in the app is not fully fleshed out and therefore not yet graceful to the end user. Since this doesn't inhibit actual development of a skin I have been waiting for community participation to ramp up a little before working on it.

IMO not a big issue - if ET would display a message hinting to restart or just restarts automatically...

ultimately you won't have to restart the app, it will just load and unload skins automatically.

Also, here is a major tip that hopefully you guys are taking advantage of for really rapid development. 

You do not need to use the Windows app to develop a skin. Just use the Chrome browser with tv.emby.media. Create a browser toolbar bookmark to http://tv.emby.media and you can rapidly reload the app anytime you need to just by clicking your toolbar. Most of the time you can also just use the regular browser refresh button.

mentasm

I definitely have been using tv.emby.media for testing.  Heaps easier to just hit F5 to see changes.  Can be handy to inspect things with the F12 tools.

I just updated the fork from the master as it was a bit broken by some upstream changes by the looks and it seems to be working again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grace1313

Hey guys, I'm having a problem saving edited files using chrome developer. "can't save to the file system".  So, I went and added the home folder to the workspace, then I tried to map the network file to the local file.  When I do that, no options show up for the local file.  I then went down to the local file and tried to map it to the network file, this worked and it shows it is mapped, but when I save and reload the changes aren't made.  Any ideas?

Hi, I don't quite follow but I usually just play around in the Chrome editor and then save the changes manually to my css files.

yes you can edit within Chrome directly. I personally don't usually do that but it is possible.

You can use pretty much any text editor but SublimeText is a nice one.  Be sure to support them if you use it :).

mentasm

I've kinda given up on this skin for now.  There is too many changes happening in the default skin and ET at present and I've been finding it hard to manage the merges with conflicts.  Sick of things breaking every day or 2.

I might do a re-edit when things settle down a bit.

mentasm

I deleted my old fork over the weekend.  Had a go at merging luke's changes using gitub desktop which I think worked, but things were a bit messed up.  Seemed better to start fresh.

Created a new fork and made a few light edits. (changed spotlight content to latest unwatched and modified the number of next up tiles etc)

https://mentasm.github.io/emby-skin-mentasm/package.json if anyone wants to install it and have a look again

Edited by mentasm

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to make some changes to the recordings screen as it just looks horrible currently but I am not having much luck except changing it from three rows to one row. But what I trying to figure out is that I want all thumbs to be the same size much bigger than they are I want the thumb of the actual recording not to be replaced by the poster. In my situation in the test recordings that I have done many series is being replaced by movie poster.

Hopefully Luke can spend time to make recordings screen much better if I can't get it to look as good as WMC my family says no go to Emby.

Even don't know what some of the cardoptions do it would be helpful if there is a description of what each line does. I will continue to experiment.

I can see that is controlled by the following

cardOptions: {   rows: {   portrait: 1,   square: 1,   backdrop: 1   },   scalable: false,   overlayText: true,   showTitle: false,

57b57965d857d_Capture52.png

57b5788164127_Captureemby.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've also had a go at forking the skin, and some concrete documentation/examples would be really useful.

What would you like to see an example of? Please note, I'm assuming you're capable with html, css & javascript. I can't teach you those things, but I imagine many people here are experienced with them and can help if you create a new topic with some screenshots and design goals. I can certainly help from the Emby Theater side of things.

mentasm

Not sure what the problem is but I was completely unable to load my skin last night.  I'm up to date in Git with changes.  When it was selectedf and ET restarted I'd just get a blank screen with emby logo in top left and time etc in top right.  Hitting esc or back would exit ET and not bring up settings.  I had to quickly hit the user icon just before the skin loaded to be able to change the current skin and recover.  Tried restarting and re-adding the skin a bunch of times.

Not sure what the issue is as the differences between my sin and default are minimal at best

yes make sure to test in chrome because then you can use the browser debugger to look for errors. it's much faster development too because then you can just refresh the page instead of having to restart the app.